Forgot the Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaffnJack

Reaction score
So I was helping a friend brew her first batch of home brew (Raspberry Wheat Extract) and had her doing all of the steps while I supervised (i.e. drank). Well, I was not a through as I should have been and we left out the maltodextrin. Of course I did not realize this until I was cleaning up. This was last night after I pitched the yeast. My question is, what can I do about it to fix the mistake? Can I mix it with some boiling water and pitch it in? If so, how much?

Thank in advance,
-J-

Sure, you can do that. Just use as little water as you need to dissolve it. Or, you can wait until bottling time and dissolve it with the priming sugar. It's non fermentable, so it doesn't matter when you add it.

Unless you have a primary with a lot of headspace, you are likely better off adding after the primary fermentation especially for larger beers. I learned my lesson with an imperial stout that turned into a uncontrollable foam machine for 3 days. Overflowed the gallon jug blowoff and covered my ferment table and adjacent basement floor with foam.

Back