Forgot something, is it too late to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltmyers31

Reaction score
My cousin and I just finished brewing a sweet stout 2 days ago. As I went back to the kitchen today, I noticed a 3 lb jar of dark LME tucked behind a few things on the counter. The recipe I made called for 6 lbs of that and a lb of Golden DME. I obviously never added it. I did however steep a about 2.5 lbs of other grains, added 12 oz of molassas also. How will leaving that 3 lb jar of LME out affect my beer and can I add it somehow now? Or should I just go with it

It'll be week without it. I'd go ahead & add it. Since it's been two days,the yeast should've multiplied in sifficient numbers to keep infections down. Also if the container was stil well sealed,you should be ok.

It'll be week without it. I'd go ahead & add it. Since it's been two days,the yeast should've multiplied in sifficient numbers to keep infections down. Also if the container was stil well sealed,you should be ok.

Just dump it in easily? My hydrometer reading was about 1.052, should I take another?

Just dump it in easily? My hydrometer reading was about 1.052, should I take another?
I would boil it in an equal amount to water (or maybe a little more) then chill and add. Taking a hydrometer reading is pointless in my opinion.

+1 on boiling it first.

I just saw a pic on the reddit homebrew forum where a guy forgot and added the extract directly to the fermenter without boiling it first. A few days later he had some pretty nasty mold growing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/vyomm/infected_two_hearted_ale_clone/

Good luck!

Absolutely. Many brewers add sugar/malt in steps on high-gravity brews to avoid diacetyl and other off flavors. Boil the DME in water, cool to fermentation temperature (room temp) and carefully add to the fermenter. You will have no problems at all, but your fermentation will be a few days longer than you expected, because you are adding a fresh batch of fermentable sugar that will need to be consumed.

Back