Forgot Irish Mos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochboy

Reaction score
Ok, I am stupid.

I am looking at my Carboy wondering what to do.I have been brewing for 2 years. I just brewed a Scotish Ale 20 mins ago, yeast is pitched.

Can I add ish moss then move to secondary to remove it after primary is done.

Please help.

Lochboy

I've forgotten the Irish moss most of the time- in fact now that you mentioned it, I forgot it the last time, too. I've probably remembered less than 1/2 the time. Don't worry about it. If you're going to use a secondary, that'll help clear the beer.

Lorena

Not adding the Irish Moss won't have any impact on taste at all. Don't worry about it - just leave it alone.

Adding to the secondary won't help, anyway; it needs to be boiled. If you REALLY want to clarify the beer further (it won't help the flavor), there are other finings that can be added to the secondary. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks All.

Great I haven't ruined it after all.

Sorry about the Double post. Trying to reach as many as posible in case I had to act quickly....

Thanks

P.s I moved here from Scotland 5 years ago and have only tried the Extract kit Scottish Ales. Does anyone have a good Extract recipe for a 80 or 90 /- ale.

A) With brewing, outside of that tense time between the boil and the fermentation, there are very few times when the situation requires immediate attention. Beermaking is an extremely slow and lazy process...you'll rarely have to "act quickly", especially once you get that thing into a carboy.

B) If you're really concerned about clarity, I'd use KC SuperKleer finings (unless you're allergic to shellfish). They do a great job. Also, try using a highly flocculent yeast. I like Wyeast's London ESB for that purpose. I exceeded the listed attenuation in 2 days, and the stuff is the clearest beer I've made yet, even the ones I added finings to. It's CRYSTAL clear.

C) What in god's name is an "80 or 90 ale"?

Evan! said:
C) What in god's name is an "80 or 90 ale"?

This is the amount of tax in shillings that the brewer had to pay to the government for the barrel.

The higher the amount of alcohol the greater the tax.
60,70,80 and 90 are the types with 60 being about 3.5% and 90 being around 6%

Makes it an easy way to see at a glance on the pumps what strength they are also when you have had a few!

:mug:

Thanks dibby for the explanation.

You're lucky there wasn't audio as you probably wouldn't understand me.

Yeah, that is correct about the schilling. However it seems that alot of 80 and 90 shilling in the US get the concentrate on the alcohol and forget about the malt and body of the beer.

I miss my pints (correct 20 ounce pints) from home..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Lochboy

Lochboy said:
Thanks dibby for the explanation.

You're lucky there wasn't audio as you probably wouldn't understand me.

Yeah, that is correct about the schilling. However it seems that alot of 80 and 90 shilling in the US get the concentrate on the alcohol and forget about the malt and body of the beer.

I miss my pints (correct 20 ounce pints) from home..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Lochboy

I would understand you more than most! I was born in Paisley and lived in Glasgow and Edinburgh before moving to Tasmania 4 years ago :)

Ah ken wit ye mean aboot people no being able to understand ye. Ah huv the same prablem here ;) Especially it seems after I have had a few of the cleansing ales!

I miss the pints too - I still ask for them in pubs by mistake and every now and then. The higher the temperature here the smaller the glasses, which explains the Scots drinking pints!

Hi Dibby,

I went to college in Edinburgh , Graduated 1999. Lived in Kirkcaldy originally.

See you on the forum

Later

Back