Forgot Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing an IPA this AM and realized I have no gypsum. I build off of my tap water which has very low mineral content and is pretty void of sulfates. I've got some calcium chloride that I can get my CA levels up with. Should I use some Burton Salts instead? (My instincts tell me not to) or perhaps make up some of the sulfates with Epsom salt in the book? Or just forego it completely.

Brewing an IPA this AM and realized I have no gypsum. I build off of my tap water which has very low mineral content and is pretty void of sulfates. I've got some calcium chloride that I can get my CA levels up with. Should I use some Burton Salts instead? (My instincts tell me not to) or perhaps make up some of the sulfates with Epsom salt in the book? Or just forego it completely.

Do you have EZ Water Calculator? It's free.

http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Just put in numbers for your tap water profile. Know what the content is for the Burton Salts.
With all this said, your better off with a low mineral count, closer to RO then a high count/high ph, like here in Austin. I really have to fiddle with the tap here. (edits for chart looks below)

Remember about making beer, if your water to good enough to drink, it's good enough to make beer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the end Profile for my IPAs.

Step 5: View Resulting Water Profile

(Ca ) (Mg) (Na ) (Cl ) (SO4) Ratio
Mash Water Profile: 97 11 16 55 205 0.27

Palmer's Recommended Ranges: 50 - 150 10 - 30 0 - 150 0 - 250 50 - 350 Below .77, May enhance bitterness

There are varying opinions on these ranges. Consider doing your own research and/or experimentation to determine what's best for you.

Don't worry about the lack of sulfate during brewing, you can add sulfate via gypsum before you package your beer. While epsom salt can be a good addition in hoppy beers, you won't be able to significantly boost the sulfate content without bumping into the magnesium limit. Do add an appropriate amount of epsom salt to produce 20 to 30 ppm Mg and that will provide 80 to 120 ppm of the sulfate that you want. The rest of the sulfate should come from a gypsum addition after fermentation. Don't worry, the gypsum will fully dissolve.

Don't worry about the lack of sulfate during brewing, you can add sulfate via gypsum before you package your beer. While epsom salt can be a good addition in hoppy beers, you won't be able to significantly boost the sulfate content without bumping into the magnesium limit. Do add an appropriate amount of epsom salt to produce 20 to 30 ppm Mg and that will provide 80 to 120 ppm of the sulfate that you want. The rest of the sulfate should come from a gypsum addition after fermentation. Don't worry, the gypsum will fully dissolve.

My EZ Water Spreadsheet indicates I need grams of Gypsum for my 15.50 gallon IPA. I will also be adding 1 gram of Epsom Salt and 1ml of Lactic acid.

I do not have the Gypsum on hand as the original poster did not. He was advised the Gypsum can be added when the beer is kegged. I will do the same and assume I should still add the Epsom Salt and Lactic acid to the mash as I normally would.

Thanks

Back