Forgot 11oz of grain - tell me I can't do this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
OK - for the first time in 30 baths I forgot 11 oz of Crystal 60.

Just thinking out of my butt here.

Can I brew up 11 oz and add it in the already fermenting wort????

Am I crazy? Anyone tried this?

I'm at an OG 1.064 (Indian Brown) or should I just leave it as is (probably the smart thing)

recipe - never tried this recipe before - thus the large amount of LME as opposed to 2-row

Mini mash.

Extra Pale LME 5.5lb
Extra Pale DME 1.25lb

6oz of caramelized brown sugar
1.0lb Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1.0lb Corn Syrup
11 oz Biscuit Malt
FORGOT 10.8oz Crystal 60!!!
6oz Coffee Malt

.75 oz Warrior 60mn
.60 oz Kent Goldings 10min
075oz Yakima Goldings 10min
1.375oz Liberty Flame Out

0.25 Yakima Goldings Dry Hop
0.25 Liberty Dry Hop

well, you can brew up 1 gal of super wort with your cry 60 but you need do the calculations to make sure that your gravity is still going to be correct when you add another galon. you'll have to add more DME. I'm not sure of the equations though.

I would probably leave it as is and see what happens. It will still be beer in the end and who knows, maybe it will be really good beer. I don't think missing crystal 60 is going to change your alcohol content by much at all. Might affect the color a bit.

Steep the crystal in a quart of 170F water and add the result without sparging. Even the pros make adjustments occasionally.

Steep the crystal in a quart of 170F water and add the result without sparging. Even the pros make adjustments occasionally.

I would do that, except I would boil it after steeping. It will kill any bugs and reduce the wort so you don't water down the beer as much.

OK - for the first time in 30 baths I forgot 11 oz of Crystal 60.
#1) Take more baths. 30 baths for a man your age is just NOT long enough.

#2) I've heard of people taking spent grains and molding it into soap bars (with other ingredients), but I've never heard of steeping your Crystal 60 in the bathtub with you. I doubt you would get good flavor between the armpit stink, underball cheese and other bad items you would get by bathing with Crystal.

Well - I'm doing something whacky - I'm using Crystal 120 6oz instead of 11 oz Cry 60.

Less liquid.

Now you will say CR 60 is NOT CR 120 in half. Yea - the flavor will be different but this clone has screwed the pooch anyway and from experience I like the addition of the 120 - just feels right! Like drawing to an inside straight with a flush on board - just seems right! LOL

How will adding this change the IBU? Wouldnt this add more sweet with the lack of a bittering hop? Or do you plan to hop it before you add to your wort? Just woundering incase I ever forget something and do the same

I'm not worried about IBU or even the OG/FG.

My thinking is that before my addition it might be over hopped so the addition of this tiny amount of wort could bring it back in line. Who knows.

As some noted if I left it it might be wonderful. I've also felt that mistakes are actually opportunities. But in this case I hated the feeling of leaving out Crystal.

I'll have to put this into Beer Smith when I'm at work (getting paid to think beer).

Back