Forced to Switch to Electric. Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you in the USA? Then it is 60HZ. Europe? 50HZ.

Haha US.. Got ya it was probably a dumb question... I'm new to all of this..

Thanks for the help I will report back with pictures when its complete.

Here's what I always recommend in these situations:

http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html

Also, you don't need a sensor for your PID to work in manual mode, just put a wire between the thermocouple inputs. Due to the cold-junction compensation circuitry, it will just read ambient temperature. That isn't useful, but the PID will function in manual mode then. Just did this for a friend, works fine.

That being said, the still-dragon kit is perfect for your situation IMHO. Cheap, includes everything but the wire, easy to build.

I'd just tell the HOA you wanted every Propane BBQ out of the neighborhood!
And see how far that gets em!
And any turkey fryers have to go as well!

I'd just tell the HOA you wanted every Propane BBQ out of the neighborhood!
And see how far that gets em!
And any turkey fryers have to go as well!

Yeah especially turkey fryers, if anything propane could burn down the neighborhood that would be it.

It sucks that your HOA is such a pain, but if you go electric at least you'll get the benefits that come with it (for me precise temp control). You can make a setup as simple or complicated as you want.

So I completed my basic setup and took it for its maiden voyage 2 weeks ago. Everything is working great, and I am up and brewing again. Thank you all for the help and quick responses! These pics below were from the initial testing.

1509876_10153657150340055_1236528561_n.jpg

562003_10153657150465055_905002221_n.jpg

1517473_10153657150685055_533983206_n.jpg

These are great too. Not a bad price either. You would probably save a max of $5 - $10 sourcing yourself.

About $140 actually if you take into consideration that some of that is totally unnecessary. For a something so simple.
I know this is an old post but its misleading to others on a budget and I had to comment .

Well... they sell the turnkey controllers for 1,450 and 1,600. You could easily build the full product for $500-600 assuming you already have the kettles and pumps.
Or $220.00 for a three pid system panel with timer (yes that's wired safely without shortcuts).
For me the electric is just soo much better all the way around... its nice brewing in a warm house.

So I completed my basic setup and took it for its maiden voyage 2 weeks ago. Everything is working great, and I am up and brewing again. Thank you all for the help and quick responses! These pics below were from the initial testing.

View attachment 171960

View attachment 171961

View attachment 171962

Looks well done, now you need to build yourself a brew stand. If you know how to weld then start watching for used steel bed frames - they weld together easy and make a great base for all of your "stuff".

Looks well done, now you need to build yourself a brew stand. If you know how to weld then start watching for used steel bed frames - they weld together easy and make a great base for all of your "stuff".

I actually have one I was just doing some testing in those pics. A buddy of mine is a welder. I was fully setup for propane before I had make the switch. Here is my current stand. [ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389713098.428172.jpgATTACH]172121[/ATTACH]

Back