Force carbonating cornelius kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdownes

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a vienna oktobefest lager fermenting in the fridge at the moment and once done I want to transfer to a cornelius keg and force carbonate.

I've bought 2x 19L cornelius kegs, a cotton filter and a 60L sodastream co2 bottle with regulator off ebay.

The plan will be to fill one keg with lager and then connect the filter between the kegs and use the co2 to force it through the filter into the second keg.

What I'm not sure of is how much co2 do I need to force carbonate or would it be better to prime with sugar tablets and let it carbonate naturally during the lagering period?

IMG_20170709_201641 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Multiply the beer volume by the target level of carbonation and you'll know how much gas will be used.
Rounding up to 5 gallons, and using 2.5 volumes of CO2 as the desired carbonation level, the beer will absorb just under 13 gallons of CO2, or roughly 48 liters.

Note that I'm not going to attempt to normalize all that to STP ;) but it'll get you in the ballpark.

That'd pretty much wipe out your little SodaStream cylinder leaving not-a-lot for dispensing.
Naturally carbonating might be a good move...

Cheers!

Back