Force carbing practice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awillis

Reaction score
I did a search on this forum and took notes about force carbonating and getting the right pressure for the best pour. So I decided that instead of learning the hard way with my brew if I could try it with straight water. This seems very silly and possibly far out. Im using a 2.5 gal corny with picnic tap. Would the pressure used for the water work with my brew? (If this is stupid I hope my ignorance gives everyone a good laugh.) TIA

I guess the water idea is useless. However, I was wondering if the same numbers regarding pressure for a 5 gal corny would apply to my 2.5 corny? TIA

awillis said:
I guess the water idea is useless. However, I was wondering if the same numbers regarding pressure for a 5 gal corny would apply to my 2.5 corny? TIA

Yes, they would. 14 psi in one vessle is the same pressure as 14 psi in another regardless of the volume ..psi is psi.

And your water idea should work. But don't worry about trying it with your brew. It works and it isn't all that tricky.

Cheers :D

Just tested my first kegged batch it was placed in the keg 30 PSI was used to seal the Keg then the pressure was reduced to 12 which was left on it for 5 days today I drew the first taste glass off the keg... this was not agitated in any way it just sat in the fridge for 5 days under 12 psi. the head was very rich and creamy out of the picnic tap but I fear I have a leak in the CO2 reg somewhere need to take time to find it... think it is in the high pressure side where the regulator attaches to the bottle anywho I plan to get a new bottle and refill the little guy... but it appears that force carbonating the beer is not as tough as folks make it out to be...

Once again you come through kkroger, sweet. I see now there is no practical way to ruin a batch when carbonating. I'm relaxing!

No problem again man! any time oh one more thing I did purge the keg with CO2 prior to setting the final pressure I used 30 psi to Seal the lid then eased of fthe pressure with the relief valve and let it repressurize then bled it off one more time this should have easily cleared the headspace of oxygen, then I reduced the pressure to 12 PSI and allowed it to just sit and carbonate...
Fridge Temp is around 38 - 40 Degrees... Old Frigidair

Been welding for years and never had to use Teflon tape on a high pressure fitting but I might give it a try on this one in fact I was always told not to use anything on high pressure the fitting actually seals on the ball where it fits in the bottle fitting... I need to run a leak check and see where it is leaking and then I can fix it up!

Back