force carbing for how long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gx37987

Reaction score
So I've read many threads and they mention how much pressure at a certin temp but what they don't mention is for how long do you leave it at that pressure. right now i've made a 15 gallon batch of cider I've racked it to my kegs and I want it to about 2.3 volumes of CO2 i'm just having it at room temp for now and when I can fit it in my keggerator i'll place it in there. how long do i leave the CO2 on at room temp. I'm fairly new to kegging.

So I've read many threads and they mention how much pressure at a certin temp but what they don't mention is for how long do you leave it at that pressure. right now i've made a 15 gallon batch of cider I've racked it to my kegs and I want it to about 2.3 volumes of CO2 i'm just having it at room temp for now and when I can fit it in my keggerator i'll place it in there. how long do i leave the CO2 on at room temp. I'm fairly new to kegging.

You leave it like that forever. Well, until the keg is gone, which isn't really forever. :D You leave it on the gas whether it's in the fridge or not.

I recently started kegging and force carbing was a disaster for me. Others claim success but set it and forget it has worked perfectly for me. You don't really want to be carbing at room temp anyway. It can be done but...
Here are some numbers you might want to try. 12-15 psi for 2 weeks minimum at fridge temp(35ish). Leave at that psi the whole time serving as well. 10ft beer line. 3/8 inch inner diameter.

Beer absorbs CO2 more quickly at colder temps. You can do it at room temp but you'll need more time (and psi) but will use the same amount
I CO2 regardless.

So the colder it is the faster it will be carbed. But 2 weeks is a good number to go with if you don't agitate it.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

More PSI yes, but not more time. Use the chart and plan on 2-3 weeks.

Time shouldn't change with a higher temp, but you will need a higher pressure as per the chart. I have found my beers at 'set and forget' pressure are quite acceptably carbed after 7 days. I did a quick carb at 3 bar for 24 hours yesterday and am drinking today.
Never tried the rocking ans rolling method, never had the need.

thanks for the input everyone, my keg that was in my kegerator just finished meaning its empty. so now I have some room to put the new keg and cool it down to about 33 - 35 degf. I have a party this Sat hopefully it will be ready by then I'm going to set the pressure to about 20 for a couple of days then drop it down to about 12 and keep it there.

Back