Force Carbing Barleywine.... question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
Think I might be losing my mind... I've had a big Barleywine in a cornie and on 30psi for a few days now. Get it up to speed then I was planning to drop it down around 8psi to serve. Well I'll be dammed if you can barely tell it's on gas. Just itsy bitsy bubbles that seem trapped. No head, effervescence and tastes. almost flat.

Tank has gas and the Taprite regulator is setup as a dual body. The second keg (in series, further down) is an ESB carbed perfectly. When I pull up on the lid vent, what feels to me as an appropriate amount of pressure bleeds off(and varies with the regulator).

I have not tried swapping gas attachments from keg 1 to keg 2 yet.

What am I missing here?

Ok so I swapped the gas attachments between kegs and the BW took a carb. Obviously there is an issue with it somewhere. Are they end user serviceable?

Only way for me to test that is carb up another batch in that keg.... brewstore guy seems to think it's the regulator or pressure gauge

You said it worked on one keg but not the other, you switched the "gas attachments" and could carb the keg you couldn't previously, but not the other... 99.9% chance that whatever you swapped is the issue... by "gas attachment" I'm assuming you mean the "gas in" post on the keg... correct? Not sure how that could really go bad except maybe the poppet?

Do you mean you just popped the disconnects off and switched them to different kegs? So the line off one body of the regulator carbed both beers properly and the other line leads to undercarbonation? If that's the case I agree with the LHBS guy, sounds like that body of the regulator.

If you need the keg carbed fast, hold it horizontally and gently rock it back and forth, you will hear the gas getting drawn from the tank. Give it a couple hours to settle, pull couple Clift pints then should be good.

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

Back