force carbing at inconsistent temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
Ive searched and searched so I assume people just dont do this....but....

Due to space etc. I dont have equipment to house my new corny keg at a low, consistent temperature for its week of carbing. I have two options; 1. Having it on my balcony where at night it will get nice and cold (somewhere in the 30's) but during the day may climb as much as 15 degrees. I can cover and insulate to reduce the change as much as possible. 2. Keep in a small basment space where the temp is prob about 50 but only varies 2-3 degrees over 24 hours.

I was trying to look for the 'dangers' of temperature variations during force carbing but couldnt find any info. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Of your choices the easiest to deal with is the basement space. Then use any decent carbonation calculator/table/chart to set your gas pressure against the average temperature and you should be in good shape with a reasonably predictable outcome...

Cheers!

How do you plan on serving your beer from the keg once it's carbonated without a dedicated cold space?

I do something like this, i keep some corny kegs in a outdoor shed. I'm in north east scotland so temperatures don't get too high, but there's still some variation. I sometimes have to alter the CO2 pressure to counter the seasonal change in temperature, but it does work well after some tweaking.

In your position i would choose the basement, as i like a beer around 50F, 10c anyhow. That would be my ideal serving temp. If the temperature is consistent, that's a plus

How do you plan on serving your beer from the keg once it's carbonated without a dedicated cold space?

Im back for an update! So the keg has been sat in the basement for a week now at 65F / 28psi aiming for 2.6 vol. I poured a small sample (after bleeding) and although, unsurprisingly, it was very foamy there was still beer to be drunk. It has carbonated but still not reached where I want it to be.

So to the above Q... I plan to bottle for now. To be honest im just bit tired of explaining the rules of a bottle conditioned beer to friends I hand out to as I see them instantly pick it up and start rolling it around in their hands. Or arriving at a friends house to see there isnt room for the bottles to stand up in the fridge.

Anyway.... whats the best move now? ... I would really like to get this bottle asap as I have a NEIPA I would like to get into the keg. If I leave it outside overnight (down to about 40 F) and do some shaking is that excess going to soak in?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

David.

Ps. In case you were wondering.... I have a counter pressure filler ready for bottling :)

Latest posts

Back