force carb or natural carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant thanks ! Gladfields are really good maltsters.
But no, Wakatu is the Hallertau strain but when grown here its nothing like it - bitterness around 7-8 -and doesnt have the noble thing going on at all. just doesn't do the job. I use Crystal hops to substitute german beers but we do get Saaz imported which is a Noble but ive always wanted hallertau mittelfrüh or hersbrucker.
We do have some amazing local hops (Riwaka, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin) so i shouldnt complain but...

I made a german pilsner with Pacifica and it was excellent. I just checked Brewshop.co.nz and note they don't import Hallertau, just Tettnang which has a different character.

I made a german pilsner with Pacifica and it was excellent. I just checked Brewshop.co.nz and note they don't import Hallertau, just Tettnang which has a different character.

Yep thats right we have tettnang and saaz but no hally and dont think spalter either. Pacifica you say ? Ok I will have a look at that one cheers for the info.

From what I read, bottle carbonation produces a smoother carbonation. Kegging introduces carbonic acid which creates a harsher feeling.

Carbonic acid is simply CO2 in solution. Its molecular formula is H2CO3, which breaks down into H2O and CO2 (water and carbon dioxide). Anything containing dissolved CO2 in water contains carbonic acid, regardless of how that carbonation was achieved.

Wakatu is NZ Hallertau. Close enough?

Yea it is Hallertau - but its results in a really different profile when grown here- compared to the imported noble hop. Its bitterness rating is between 7-8 AA instead of being around 3-5AA and really tastes different.. even the American Hallertau tastes different i believe

Kegging is easier for me. It carbs faster, but the beers usually benefit sitting for a few weeks anyhow. I REALLY like that I can share beer with the uninitiated without having to explain yeast sediment of naturally-carbed beer.

I think anyone that has keged will tell you that kegging (and bottling from kegging if you want to do that) are much easier than using priming sugar and bottling. That has been my experience. No bottle bombs. Smaller chance for contamination. Not as messy. Not as much to clean up. Twice a fast. It might be slightly more expensive (if you use a larger tank it is cheaper), but it it definitely worth it to me.

That having been said, I do still bottle prime occasionally. But it is awfully rare.

In England, only bottle conditioned beers (other than those on cask) can be called "Real Ale" seems silly to me as I'm not sure there is a difference in taste

I'd like to change my vote. Force carb is awesome. Making delicious beer ready to go a couple hours after kegging is priceless, I'll gladly pay the extra couple bucks worth of co2 for that.

Back