Force carb and fining in keg at the same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
Any reason why I shouldn't put my keg under 30 PSI right after pouring in my gelatin?

Normally I cold crush one day, I add gelatin the next, and only after that I proceed to force carbing, but I'm wondering if I can simplify the steps.

The only reason you shouldn't do it is if the beer isn't cold. If your beer isn't AT LEAST down to 50F or colder, don't waste your time. If it is, have at it!

The only reason you shouldn't do it is if the beer isn't cold. If your beer isn't AT LEAST down to 50F or colder, don't waste your time. If it is, have at it!

I'm largely guessing here having not used gelatin before, but....

is this because you have to give the gelatin enough time to settle junk out at below 50 degrees first before introducing the co2?

So, I'm not an expert on it, but if I remember correctly, it's because when the beer is cold, it causes all of the haze forming particulate to kind of clump together and create the haze that you're trying to eliminate. This makes it so the gelatin will grab it and pull it out of suspension.

That makes sense. I guess how you decide to clear is a matter of preference of when? I know some use Whirlfloc/Irish moss in the boil which I've attempted to do, but sometimes I find myself forgetting to add it. And then if you're trying to do the closed transfer to keg thing...I'm assuming you can't do gelatin...?

Whirlfloc/Irish moss and gelatin target 2 different things. Whirlfloc and IM coagulate and drop kettle trub whereas gelatin is going for the smaller particulate and what not that contribute to chill haze.

Additionally, for the most part, what gelatin drops, time would most likely drop as well. Longer time at colder temps will usually clear most beer. Hence, some people have called gelatin "liquid time".

That makes sense. I guess how you decide to clear is a matter of preference of when? I know some use Whirlfloc/Irish moss in the boil which I've attempted to do, but sometimes I find myself forgetting to add it. And then if you're trying to do the closed transfer to keg thing...I'm assuming you can't do gelatin...?

No, if you do closed transfers to kegs, you CAN do gelatin.

Get yourself a 100mL syringe and some tubing and connect it to a gas QD and inject the gelatin mixture through the gas in post.

closed transfer gelatin. Make gelatin solution, put in a small pop bottle (i bought a little 250ml chubby), put on a carb cap With a dip tube that reaches to the bottom and purge it a few times with co2 then pressurize it to a higher psi than your keg. connect the bottle to the gas in on your keg and the pressure differential will give you a pretty oxygen free gelatin transfer into your keg.

I'm familiar with the temp requirements of gelatin and I also use the syringe method through the PRV, but is everybody here in agreement with Rob that force carbing and fining with gelatin can happen simultaneously. I was afraid that the extra pressure in the keg would interfere with the way gelatin works.

I can tell you it's how I've done gelatin for the past year and it's worked just fine. I think i actually asked that same question a long time ago. Too long ago to try and find it lol.

20200302_173228.jpg

My last beer I did this way. Just an example of how it came out

Well, can't argue with those results, Rob!!!

BTW- what I do is vent the cold crashed keg and then unscrew the PRV slowly. Before it's fully removed, I turn on a tiny (1-2PSI) of co2 in some --probably futile--effort to minimize O2 ingress, then I fully remove the PRV and shoot my syringe full of gelatin straight into the hole left by the pressure release valve. Squirt of Starsan and screw the PRV back on. Then crank the PSI back up and vent a few times.

Well, can't argue with those results, Rob!!!

BTW- what I do is vent the cold crashed keg and then unscrew the PRV slowly. Before it's fully removed, I turn on a tiny (1-2PSI) of co2 in some --probably futile--effort to minimize O2 ingress, then I fully remove the PRV and shoot my syringe full of gelatin straight into the hole left by the pressure release valve. Squirt of Starsan and screw the PRV back on. Then crank the PSI back up and vent a few times.

By the way, I'm not trying to pressure you in believing that it works despite what others say. Just giving you the evidence I have and how I do it. I just didn't happen to think of it all in 1 message LOL. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
Interesting approach to the injection of gelatin you have! I can't imagine much oxygen, if any, is getting past that.

Back