For those who dry hop in the keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimbii

Reaction score
What is the best way to do this and be able to get the hops out after a week or so? I was thinking about using an herb ball but don't know how those of you who use them get them out. I did see in one post that somebody JB welded a hook to hang a bag from but was wondering if there was a better/cleaner/easier way. Any suggestions?

Stainless hose clamp on the underside of the lid where the pressure relief valve is, attached with a piece of fishing line. Or a cable tie will work. Don't put a line through the seal of the lid and keg because there is a good chance of a slow leak wasting all of your CO2 - and I can attest to this being a PITA. You can also buy a fancy new lid from some online vendor that has a hook welded on, but that seems like a waste of $$$.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18214//Corny_Keg_Lid_with_Welded_Tab

My preferred method is to dry hop with the hops loose in the keg and transfer the beer to another keg when dry hopping is complete. I use a Surescreen which is a stainless steel mush tube, that’s fits over the keg’s pick-up tube. Dry hopping with the hops loose, results in much better hop utilization, than hops constrained to a bag or ball. At $8 each, they are pretty cheap too.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=surescreen

I tie the hops in a muslin bag around the dip tube. When it's ready to drink, I just drink enough that the water level is lower than the bag.

I put the hops in a fine nylon sack along with three 3/4" stainless ball bearings and toss it in. I don't take it out until I'm cleaning the keg out some 4-6 weeks later after consuming all the beer.

Back