For those who dry hop, filter and keg - Do you loose flavor and aroma when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
Dry hop in primary/secondary pass thru filter rig (1 micron) to keg. Do you notice any loss in aroma/flavor by filtering?

I keg and i don't filter. I've never seen the point because once the beer is fully settled and conditioned its pretty damn clear anyway. I know it doesn't answer your question but why put in another step and another expense when it's not really necessary? Just curious.

I cold crash for a few days before I rack to a keg and I'm happy with the clarity of the final product.

I keg and i don't filter. I've never seen the point because once the beer is fully settled and conditioned its pretty damn clear anyway. I know it doesn't answer your question but why put in another step and another expense when it's not really necessary? Just curious.

Stokes law says that the beer will eventually be clear, that is why we cold crash. Most often beer goes into the keg not 100% clear. Those solids left behind settle on the walls and bottom of the keg. When that keg is moved around all that time of solids settling is lost.

I want to be able to drag my kegs around and pour crystal beer, I taste with my eyes first and am a crowd pleaser. I would only serve the best to my guest.

I already had the filter housing for carbon block filtering out chlorine. It was $4 extra for the filter to remove haze and yeast.

It wont get used on some lagers, dark and strong beers. I dont want the added risk of oxidizing and added time of cleaning if not necessary.

But for hoppy beers, I want to have them ready and drink them fast. A filter will make that possible for me.

Stokes law says that the beer will eventually be clear, that is why we cold crash. Most often beer goes into the keg not 100% clear. Those solids left behind settle on the walls and bottom of the keg. When that keg is moved around all that time of solids settling is lost.

I want to be able to drag my kegs around and pour crystal beer, I taste with my eyes first and am a crowd pleaser. I would only serve the best to my guest.

I already had the filter housing for carbon block filtering out chlorine. It was $4 extra for the filter to remove haze and yeast.

It wont get used on some lagers, dark and strong beers. I dont want the added risk of oxidizing and added time of cleaning if not necessary.

But for hoppy beers, I want to have them ready and drink them fast. A filter will make that possible for me.

Sorry, I don't really have an answer for you as I've never filtered, I just kind of chuckled at the bolded part and how different everyone's tastes are. I've always been a little suspicious of crystal clear IPA's, my eyes tell me they've been stripped of flavor somehow.

Honestly, I have no proof of this or even any idea if it's a real thing, I've always just figured a good IPA had a little haze to it.

Sorry, I don't really have an answer for you as I've never filtered, I just kind of chuckled at the bolded part and how different everyone's tastes are. I've always been a little suspicious of crystal clear IPA's, my eyes tell me they've been stripped of flavor somehow.

Honestly, I have no proof of this or even any idea if it's a real thing, I've always just figured a good IPA had a little haze to it.

Of course will be keg hopping, I expect haze then.

In a few weeks I will post some results for us.

Back