For Curiosities Sake....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madinaman

Reaction score
If I brew a big barleywine, throw it into a secondary for 12 to 24 months, and then add new yeast to bottle it, do i need to use the same yeast I used to brew the beer, or could I add a different strain and try to pick up some different flavors. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, just curious for when I brew a barleywine...

Doesn't really make a difference. You are only adding a very small % of total fermentables. Makes much more of a difference what you use for priming sugar (dextrose, honey, maple syrup)

I can think of one reason not to use different strains: if the second strain you pitch has a higher attenuation ability, there's a chance that your bottles will be overcarbonated.

But it doesn't seem likely - in a harsh environment such as a high alcohol barleywine it seems like the second yeast you pitch would go for the priming sugars and then give up.

If you pitch a different strain, make sure you give it a few days to attenuate further, and that it's done fermenting (again).

but you shouldn't need to pitch more yeast to prime with. adding the sugar should wake the yeast back up... i've made a black barleywine and it carbonated just fine without adding new yeast. and it was at 11%

Latest posts

Back