Food poisoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distantdrumming

Reaction score
Does anyone have solid evidence that beer cannot cause food poisoning? I ask because after sampling one of my brews I had a very bad reaction, which I won't go into detail on, but it involved the porcelain thrown... This occurred on two occasions after sampling the same brew...I've done some searching and found a lot of responses saying it's not possible, but nothing to back up those claims. Anyone have actual evidence? I'm convinced it was the beer.

Is it possible that it was more of an allergic reaction to the beer or the hops? My friend has issues with hops and he nearly RUNS to the john when drinking IPAs.

OR

Copied from RateBeer (source)
Wort goes through a boil after mash in/grain steeping to kill off any bacteria/virus/pathogen. It is possible that poor sanitary conditions in the brewhouse, fermenter, bottle, bottling line/filler, cap per/caps could lead to an infection. Though the typical infections are from bacteria/yeast that can survive an alcoholic environment, which narrows down the list to our familiar lactobacillus, pediococcus, brettanomyces, acetobacter list. These are harmless.

It is possible that your stomach got upset by a large amount of live yeast/bacteria in suspension/sediment. But poisoning would require a type of yeast/bacteria that I’ve never heard of getting into a beer much less a fresh keg to growler not allowing sufficient type for said infection to grow into sufficient numbers to poison you. But if that rare, near impossible occurrence is real, then you should certainly alert the brewery, see if anyone else fell ill, because if so this would be a serious problem and health code violation.

More likely, you are allergic to an adjunct in the beer such as tree nuts, citrus fruits, melons, certain vegetable, or you could be gluten intolerant. You can have a simple blood test to see if you have Celiac disease.

Also, remember that if you body identifies a bacterial, viral, protozoan infection from food/drink, you will immediately start vomiting and have diarrhea within minutes or hours. Not days.​

I have no allergies, and no...I'm not pregnant. The excessive yeast is plausible. Both times happened after about an hour of drinking the beer..just one each time. Either way my body responded to it as if it were food poisoning. It's still going down the drain :(

That would make sense. It never fully cleared after almost a month in fermentation. I needed the carboy so went ahead and bottled anyway.

What was the beer/ingredients.

300 brews and worst I've had is undrinkable vinegar, and maybe a little alcohol poisoning from sampling too much on a couple of occasions.

I've had bad bottled beer before, but didn't react as if I had food poisoning. Just left me with a lousy heartburn for two weeks. It was probably left unrefrigerated.
The unfiltered yeast in my homebrew wheats tends to bother me, though. If I drink more than two bombers of unpasteurized bottle beer, it gives me lower GI pains from gas. It's pretty noticeable because I'll drink commercial Coors Light - filtered fizzy water - in the summer and never have a problem.

Which yeast? Some yeasts give me umm gas. The cumulative effect of beers has caused my belt to tighten and that can cause heartburn.
Was it a sour?

It was a SMASH of 2-row and Citra. Didn't taste bad per se, but not all that great either. Yeast was Safale s-05. And yeah...my reaction to it wasn't gas or heartburn. Retch until there's nothing left and then some. Never had food poisoning, but sure fits the bill.

Yeast. Drink up, it will pass :) I mean, your body will accept the newcomers and deal with much better over time.

Many ways to greatly reduce the yeast in your bottles. Cold crashing and gelatin work wonders.

Another way would be to use a different yeast.
Swap the hefeweizen yeasts out with a California ale or kolsch yeast, Whirlfloc AND lager. If it's the yeast bugging you, that might leave less in suspension.

Back