Food Grade Silicone Sealant for Brew Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I've perused threads from several boards regarding silicone for mash tuns, heat sticks, etc.

Just wanted to share my research for my heatstick project. I was looking for a product that was not corrosive to any metals I was using in the heatstick ( many food grade silicone was corrosive to zinc and other metals), and it had to be food grade.

The DAP All-Purpose Adheasive Sealant ( household/aquarium) silicone sealant fits the bill

The upc # is 7079800688 if you wish to peruse the technical bulletin at the DAP site.

DAP even gives you a search funtion to see who may carry the product. It took me 3 calls to find a local store that carried DAP products that actually had what I needed, so that store (HD) is where I am going at lunch tomorrow.

The switch box is done ( and works) , the element is potted in jb weld, all I need now is the silicone to seal this baby and put the plug on.

The new 50qt pot arrives this week, so I can use the new heatstick to boil a full volume in the aluminum pot to prep it for brewing...I can also time the delta T for a set volume .

Regards

Evening Sean,

There may be better products out there, but from what info I was able to get about the DAP product I picked up today, it is safe for for contact.

The packaging states that it is safe for food contact and cited 21 CFR 177.2660 for info on ingredients which remain or migrate to food. This was the only product I could find locally that stated it was safe for food contact and I didn't feel like ordering onlind and paying shipping.

One thing I will say...21CFR is not written quite as clear as 40 CFR that I deal with for environmental regs

No problem. It probably is ok, I just wanted to mention my experience.

Back