Fogger, large container, fan, duct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back into cheesemaking and will be setting all my caves up with a controlled, small fogger (reptile type, one head with any dorm fridge or wine cooler I come across). They'll all have floats, they'll be in fairly large water containers as I hate filling water (and also, like my Savoie tommes needing low air exchange, high humidity and colder temp, I don't like opening doors with some cheeses).

Problem is, I suck at engineering. My previous fogger was beautiful, 9 heads, I think, for my home, large cave in the basement, but it came fully ready to rock. I bought a fan from House of Hydro. The wires are disconnected, they provide twist-caps but honestly, as this is a watery environment, I wasn't sure if I should waterproof everything in the connection, or have it so the connection part is outside the cave, or what.

Secondly, man this is embarrassing, but a square fan base with the round hole they designate. Er, how do you insert the fan through the round hole in your plastic lid? Just start with one side and slide it in, one side at a time? (I'm almost sure not).:confused:

Paul,

Both the basic and the pro fans are intended to be surface mounted. Neither are intended to go through the hole. The fan should just be aligned with the hole then bolted in place. The wires from the fan are intended to be run outside of the container, but since it will still be a very humid environment, I would by waterproof wire nuts. You can get them at just about any hardware store. I'm not sure what your set up will look like so little else I can add.

Cheers

Staetsc, wanted to say thanks again. Easy do and everything sailed today. Problem is, sailed all too well and blew the sensor, I think.:eek::D

With a fan on even low, I felt like I was on a Dracula set. I can't recall if I had the same issue with my old cave, for which this controller and sensor was built (I maintained mostly 92% RH there, though played with as high as 97%. These were large Abondance wheels so the unit went through long trials on, and it performed without issue. However, there, despite high RH, little condensation. So much wood in place, whereas this wine cooler is all plastic surfaces?).

Sensor is seemingly stuck on 99.9 (setpoint 96%). Though I thought it was soaked (crazy amount of condensation - want to find an answer to that, even a better way, as this is ridiculous), the sensor did respond to my blowing on it gently - I was trying to "dry it out," figuring like everything, the thing was wet as a pool. It did respond and went down to 99.1. Jumped back to 99.9, blow, back down and now it seems to be holding, for now, at 99.1-99.3.

Never come across this. Is this just a cheap sensor issue? Is it, in fact, saturation? Is it blowing past setpoint, like most controllers do?

How does the inkbird dual controller do in extremely high RH environments?

Back