FoFA 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have beer and am ready to taste. Let me know if any tastings are happening tonight.

Awesome day up at the Hill. Highlights for me were Residency 1 and 4, Poetica 1 and 2, Norma 2013, and Vera 2013. Amazing weather. Pics below:
qX9SJBD.jpg

0mm5zc3.jpg

Duw7evT.jpg

2um9FgJ.jpg

Amazing day. The weather was phenomenal and the beers right there with it.

Highlights:

-Poetica 2 was ridiculous. I enjoyed 1 quite a bit as well, but 2 really exceeded my expectations of how much an already great beer as Mary could be improved upon

-Juicy 2015 - I was sad it kicked so early, it was my very first pour of the day and surely one I’d have gone back for

-Residency 3 - I’ll be honest, I didn’t get any smoke. But it was fantastic, a clear favorite of the 4 despite all being very good.

-honorable mention to Clara 2016. I did miss the 13 Arthur but this was my favorite of all the tried and trues on tap. There is not another beer I’ve ever had that gains more with a couple years on it

Missed WoL Anchorage and Peach/Pear, but it was a fair trade for stumbling upon one of the very last pours of CD 6 with no line. In general I avoided lines and this worked out in 90% of cases. Bonus points to the residency beers for lasting the entire fest and an extremely quick line despite generally extending out the tent.

Nice summary. A couple more notes:

- The food trucks were top notch, especially the pizza and Single Pebble Chinese. BBQ and even the tacos spot were excellent.
- Shaun was in great spirits all day. I have to assume he got laid the night before otherwise it was a small miracle.
- We lucked out with the weather. If it rained, the two tents would have been inadequate.
- Much smaller than I expected. Maybe 200 people tops (including volunteers, staff, etc). All of the staff was super nice and accommodating.
- Plenty of glasses to go were available after the fest. My guess would be another 30 boxes of 6 each (180 additional, or about 300 total). Same glass as the last 2 years, just a new color font/logo (baby/steel blue-ish?).
- BadJustin, great to meet you. Amazing that of a total of about 20 Talkbeer (New Avenues for Youth) Quintessence shirts in existence, we were both sporting ours proudly. Classy as F...
- Raffle bottles were: Ann mag, Anna mag, Arthur mag, CD #13 mag, Flora (Blue/Black?!?) mag, Works of Love (Sante?) mag, 4 pack of each of the Residency beers signed by both Shaun and Tim. Raised over $14,000 for local schools after school programs from what I understood.
- Band was non-offensive but pretty inert. Where are the DLD bands when you need them?
- Would have been nice to know that we are allowed in at 11am but nothing is tapped until 12pm. Would have allowed us time to pick up merch and cans and tossed them in the car before we went in. Oh well, you live and you learn.
- Being my first time at Hill Farmstead, we left taking the wrong dirt path out (the one on the left, not on the right). That was a bit too much excitement for our DD. Don’t ever listen to the navigation on a car system...use your phone or follow a friend.

Nice summary. A couple more notes:

- The food trucks were top notch, especially the pizza and Single Pebble Chinese. BBQ and even the tacos spot were excellent.
- Shaun was in great spirits all day. I have to assume he got laid the night before otherwise it was a small miracle.
- We lucked out with the weather. If it rained, the two tents would have been inadequate.
- Much smaller than I expected. Maybe 200 people tops (including volunteers, staff, etc). All of the staff was super nice and accommodating.
- Plenty of glasses to go were available after the fest. My guess would be another 30 boxes of 6 each (180 additional, or about 300 total). Same glass as the last 2 years, just a new color font/logo (baby/steel blue-ish?).
- BadJustin, great to meet you. Amazing that of a total of about 20 Talkbeer (New Avenues for Youth) Quintessence shirts in existence, we were both sporting ours proudly. Classy as F...
- Raffle bottles were: Ann mag, Anna mag, Arthur mag, CD #13 mag, Flora (Blue/Black?!?) mag, Works of Love (Sante?) mag, 4 pack of each of the Residency beers signed by both Shaun and Tim. Raised over $14,000 for local schools after school programs from what I understood.
- Band was non-offensive but pretty inert. Where are the DLD bands when you need them?
- Would have been nice to know that we are allowed in at 11am but nothing is tapped until 12pm. Would have allowed us time to pick up merch and cans and tossed them in the car before we went in. Oh well, you live and you learn.
- Being my first time at Hill Farmstead, we left taking the wrong dirt path out (the one on the left, not on the right). That was a bit too much excitement for our DD. Don’t ever listen to the navigation on a car system...use your phone or follow a friend.

It was a Flora BBR. My wife was the one who won. She kept going back all day to drop money in the buckets.

I preferred poetica 2, by a decent amt.
I didn’t have CD Citrus at the fest but did have it at Parker. It was still pretty not great.
Anna 2014 didn’t do much for me but Arthur 2013 was fire. CD6 was also great.
Looking at the list I missed a few things on draft but nothing I never had before. I never even knew Nordic was on. Would’ve liked to have revisited Peaches and Pears but that line was too long.

Also I was surprised at how quiet Parker was last night.

Skipped spicebush, wasn’t a huge fan at Parker a few months ago.

Would have to agree with CD Citrus, which is a shame as I have enjoyed both bottles I’ve had of it so far.

Added some TBers to the ticked list:

jammery
BravoDawg
MikeG
And probably several dozen more that I forgot.

Learned a few things this FoFA:

Don’t drink outside the bus
Don’t drink inside the bus when parked
Don’t associate yourself with BadJustin
Don’t buy all the cold brew bottles when there is an unannounced pop up sale

I also apologize if BadJustin and I stood too close to the bathroom on the way back and made you feel uncomfortable (see 3rd thing I learned)

Already looking forward to next year!

Highlights for me were Flora Peaches and Pears, Poetica 2, WOL Achorage, and Residency 1 & 3.

My only regret was actually not having 13’ Arthur.

On top of that, ‘twas my lucky day as my wife and I walked away with the magnum of CD13. That was a pretty good anniversary surprise for us but we were glad so much money was raised for the children of Greensboro.

What a tremendous experience that involved meeting some new friends and starting to put some faces to names on here. As always Highland Lodge was a top notch place to stay!

Added some TBers to the ticked list:

jammery
BravoDawg
MikeG
And probably several dozen more that I forgot.

Learned a few things this FoFA:

Don’t drink outside the bus
Don’t drink inside the bus when parked
Don’t associate yourself with BadJustin
Don’t buy all the cold brew bottles when there is an unannounced pop up sale

I also apologize if BadJustin and I stood too close to the bathroom on the way back and made you feel uncomfortable (see 3rd thing I learned)

Already looking forward to next year!

Naw man, that **** was money, although we made none. Disappointing.

yes. do not hang with me, apparently, I am trouble. Sorry for partying, literally.

i digress, good to see all you this weekend. Mean that, names and faces.

I also licked raginasian238, again, so I got that going for me

Last edited:
Highlights for me were I walked away with the magnum of CD13.

FTFY.

Just being next to you guys when you won that mag elevated my day. The Ann magnum might have been the grand finale but that CD13 was the best prize.

yes. do not hang with me, apparently, I am trouble. Sorry for partying, literally.

Someone nameless said they were surprised at how chill you were.

I was just surprised you didn’t try to hit me in the nuts. I wore my cup for no reason.

FoFA 2018 - probably my favorite one next to 2013. All of the residency beers were so good and being able to keep going back revisit and talk to Tim and enjoy those was great. 3 and 1 (in order) were my favorites but 2 was really up there and 4 was great as well. Nothing to ***** about: Great weather, lines at times but nothing crazy. Juicy w/ no line in the beginning was pretty funny and I took advantage of that while Vera Mae wasn't cooperating as usual. Missed out on Anchorage Works of Love again somehow..

Highlights were Flora Peach/Pear, the Residency beers, making some new friends, and being able to enjoy the event more this time without all of the nonsense. also Arthur 2013 was tasting great! and I enjoyed that TH Spicebush Works of Love on draft not sure why many don't like that one? Cheers to Zimm for being awesome and congrats on winning that CD 13 magnum as well.

Does anyone know if there were less people at the fest than previous or was it just me? Not sure if they'll continue this format but it worked out! Great job out of the Hill staff past and present killing it this weekend!

New question:

Someone got off the bus at SLM, took a piss on the sign or the post at the farm entrance, then got back on (I think) You pissed like right at a camera, our Airbnb hostess is not exactly stoked about it. Can you please come forward and message me.... I’ll have a still photo of you with dick in hand later, please save me the trouble of posting it, thanks!

Back