Foamy Beer from year old keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmckenny

Reaction score
When I moved a year ago I was not able to fit my kegerator into the basement of my new house forcing me to store some kegs of varying degree of fullness for about a year. I recently got a new kegerator and when I had hooked one up all that comes out is foam. Is this do to the keg having been warmed up for so long and the CO2 separating? I have plenty of line length and have the PSI at 10.

The keg may have built up more pressure over the year. Try venting off most or all the pressure with the release vavle.

It isn't clear if the problematic keg has been allowed to chill down to serving temp or not, and warm beer can't hold as much CO2 as cold.

Before I'd vent gas out of the head space, I'd make sure the beer was at the intended serving temperature before testing how well it poured. If, in that condition, the pour was too foamy - AND the beer line was of proper length for its inside diameter at the intended level of carbonation of said problematic keg - THEN I would shut the gas feed off and start a venting regimen until the carbonation was at the desired level...

Cheers!

Its been at temp so I guess it sounds like it has too much carbonation. I'll try burping it each 15 minutes for a couple hours till it can pour a glass at low (~9PSI) pressure without much foam.

released the pressure many times and its still foamy. Should I keep on releasing pressure (can I leave the release valve open??) or should I wait a week or two like a fresh keg?

does it taste good, if so, probably just too much CO2 in it.
Vent all the pressure, a few times across a few days. Then recarb.
AKA (+1 vent the pressure and just re carb it)

Latest posts

Back