Foamy beer from sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhart

Reaction score
Help me diagnose my issue:

I received a 2nd hand kegerator (tower, tap, and all) but the fridge doesn't exactly work. That's not my problem, I can work with that.

However, I pulled all the business parts for the tap out and took it to a picnic. The keg was in a trashcan of ice, the tower was mounted on a 4x4 wood stand hovering over the trashcan/keg. Well, here's where my problem is...it produces only foamy beer.

So, help me fix the issue. I'm trying this setup at yet another picnic tomorrow. I can go get a air pump picnic tap tomorrow, but I'd prefer to use my ghetto rig (it impresses people...or at least it would if it worked).

What possible problems could cause this?

For the record, sanke keg.

How long is the tap line, what is the inner diameter (ID), and what pressure are you serving at? Is it coming out fast? Is the tap all the way open when you pour?

The tap line is about 36" long. I try as much as I can to keep any excess below the ice level, but simply because of the ghetto nature of the rig, probably about 12" are completely exposed to outside temperature.

ID is 3/8".

I've attempted adjust the pressure up and down with no positive result. Pressure down, it comes out slower, pressure up it comes out faster. Foamy either way.

Thank you! I'll give that a try...see if that solves the problem. Sounds like it will.

Latest posts

Back