"Foam" ontop of my mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deghisagorah

Reaction score
Hi, allow me to introduce myself, in Joseph and im new to this forum :D.

Okay, so ive started doing my third try with mead, after around an hour of putting the yeast in i started to notice a very thin layer of foam forming ontop of my mead, and it has got this weird "blotches" that forms a pattern these blotches dont contain foam (like a swimming pole in the winter and someone poked a hole into the ice layer ontop of the pool) and im probably a bit paranoid but i need to make sure if its normal, because somehow after cleaning my container for 10 minutes i found a piece of floating plastic inside the fermentor while ive put the yeast and mead in (already took it out) im just a bit worried that the two are related maybe a rebel yeast managed to outgrow its comrades

I am doing my first real mead. Had that happen and when I racked it I got a little bit few days since that probably "woke up" the yeast and caused some degassing

Ah, okay its starting to look like what you might call "white film" cause today when i checked it the thin layer got bubbles in them, Thanks for the help :) much appreciated

But should i skim the top off?, Mix it in with the mead, or just leave it be ?

Last edited:
Oh and here's a pic of the foam (sorry for the horrific quality)
Earlier there was quite a bit more, but after a single slosh some of them dissapeared

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_084504.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
at 1 week -

Mead at 1 week.JPG

at first racking
mead before racking.JPG

Mead at 1 week.JPGmead before racking.JPG

Back