Foam issues with Sank beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmorris

Reaction score
For the past several commercial brew beer I have been having major issues with foam. I went through about a dozen kegs before I had this problem. I have replaced everything and it is still happening. Need some ideas on what may be causing it.

Setup: (things I have also changed)
-Old Regulator was replaced with a new one(Tried the new one at a friends house works fine)
- 8 foot line (Did the calculation I need 8feet 3 inches. Also remember this was working before)
- New tab (I have tried 4 different taps that work and works elsewhere with no issues)
- Temp of Fridge is at 3C-5C (Tried to drop and raise it a little made no difference)
- Changed Sanke Coupler (No difference)
- Pressure is at 10psi.
- Lines are clean.
- New Tower Shank with Elbow

I had a guy come in and look at it and said the temp was to high. He lowered it and froze everything. He also suggested the lines may be to short. This make no sense it the calculation is correct and this was working before.

The only think I think it could be is the Tower Shank with Elbow. Long shot but could this be a problem?

Any suggestion would be great.

Thank you,

Dan

Try cutting the gas off and just pour a few pints continuously to see if it will clear up. The kegs could be over carbonated/pressurized. Have all the kegs with the foamy beer been from the same brewery or distributor?

My other guess would be a restriction somewhere like the faucet or the coupler but if you changed those out then it seems unlikely.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried the suggested by decreasing the pressure and pouring a few beers. This still did not work.

I also changed out the lines today along with one of the nipples off the Sanke Coupler and still the same issue.

My guess is the commercial keg is still overcarbed for your system. At 4C and 10 psi you are running about 2.3 vols, many commercial kegs are in the 2.5-2.7 range. You probably need to vent the sanke repeatedly with the gas turned off and then try again. I keep my system around 2.5-2.6 and the majority of commercial kegs pour fine, but I know one particular beer/brewery that always foams at first and I need to degas those kegs a bit.

Back