Fly Sparging Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
I am still new at the AG brewing just needed a little advice on Fly sparging. I have a round cooler as my mash tun and just attach a sparge arm to it for the sparging but it seems like it never goes as long as it should. From what I have read the sparge should take 1-2 hr's mine is done in about 45 minn. How do I get this to last longer? I have Phil’s 7" sparge arm I get just enough water to make it spin. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Primary: Old Castle Brown Ale
2nd: Orange Hefe
Bottle/Conditioning: Amber Ale
In the Works: Oktoberfest, Oatmeal Stout

Ditto what Yuri said. I do 11 gallon batches and my fly sparge takes me from 45-60 minutes. I get 85+% efficiency. You can always slow down the output. If the water raises too much, just shut off the sparge arm and let the water level drain off a bit.

Try and match the same flow rate, match the out going into the kettle to the same as the input going into the mash tun. Mine takes me an hour to sparge and I hit 80-85% every time.

Hopper31 said:
I have Phil’s 7" sparge arm I get just enough water to make it spin. Any advice would be helpful.
I think the trick to getting that thing to spin while maintaining a slow enough flow to last for an hour, or longer, is to ensure that the valve on the HLT is a foot or two higher than the top of the sparge arm assembly. Also, inspect the little bead of solder that the arm spins on to ensure that it is smooth. Mine wasn't and the arm would eventually come to a stop. I cleaned it up with an Xacto blade and it's working fine now.

That said, I've never sparged a 5gal batch longer than an hour. I typically see 75%-80% efficiency.

Thanks I like the one about sex good analogy. Sorry one more stupid question how do you test for efficiency?

You guys sparge for an hour... Man maybe that's why I only get 60-65% Effec. I usually batch sparge and just run it for about 15-30 minutes. How do you guys keep your water 170F

Back