Flush mounting a surface mount drip tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschnyderite

Reaction score
Can't find a 12" flush mount without drain so im considering trying to sink a surface mount drip tray into the plywood for my lid. Should be able to make it almost flush, but with tile surrounding it, im not sure how to make it look like it belongs there, but also removable.

any ideas?

What is the thickness of the drip tray as compared to the plywood lid? Can you just cut the lid so the tray fits snug and flush, then attach some wood from under the lid so it is supported?

thanks...saw that but if you look its really a surface mount and not available for purchase anyway =/

my plywood is 1/2" thick and the tile atop it should add another 1/8" I would think...so there would be about 1/8" overhang on the tray...

I'm more worried about making it not look out of place in relation to the tile. I can't grout to the edge of the tray because it needs to be removable to empty it. so would be an empty space surrounding the tray equivalent to a tile spacer that a flush mount tray would cover up but surface mount would not.

Can a drain be removed from a flush mount tray so I don't need to drill into my lid and still stay flush?

Hi

Surface mount trays don't look all that bad and they do have one very nice feature: You can haul them over to the sink (or dishwasher) to scrub them out.

I have two sitting here. One is right at 3/4" thick. The other is closer to an inch thick.

Bob

Back