Flowers to Plant with Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for flowers to plant with my hops. I'm especially interested in any that might be helpful with pests.

Thanks, Gestyr, I've planted marigolds around the edges of my vegetable garden. Have you used marigolds in your hop garden?

Dutch White Clover.

Not so great about keeping away pests, but it does fix nitrogen to the soil and attracts bees and wasps. Wasp are great pest predators.

I just like saying daffodils. You can name your next brew Big Pappers Daffodil IPA.

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions re: marigolds and Dutch clover to help control pests in the hop garden. Any others?

My understanding is most beans are nitrogen fixers so beans are an option. I can tell you half my plants were planted with beans and they did very well. Was it the beans or coincidence ? I dunno.

My understanding is most beans are nitrogen fixers so beans are an option. I can tell you half my plants were planted with beans and they did very well. Was it the beans or coincidence ? I dunno.

You planted beans (like green beans?) in and around your hop mounds?

I always plant marigolds near my vegetables, keeps critters away. I never heard of dill keeping aphids out. I have tiger lilies and iris growing with my hops, doesn't keep people away they pick the flowers. I don't mind, just leave my hops alone!

I have used marigolds with my tomato/herb garden. They keep away some bugs but do attract ear-wigs (pincher bugs). Ear-wigs ate the leaves of the tomatos and basil. They didn't do too much damage so I left them alone. I just wanted to make sure you knew about marigolds attracting ear-wigs.

Latest posts

Back