Flomaster's Magic Chef 7.2 cuft Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holes drilled in tile tonight, but I bought 3" bolts and they were to short. I need to make some sort of gasket and get longer bolts.

other than the bolts I need tap handles and some beer.

-= Jason =-

man i dont know why you asked question to me man, yours looks great.. i might need to paint mine and fix it up a bit.. cant wait to see final pics

well here she is got the towers mounted, my FIL has some black 1/8" thick gasket sheet material i cut out some gaskets so the towers weren't just sitting on the granite. I'll take a tower to work and see what kind of insulation I can use to wrap my two beer lines and the Glycol lines.

DSC_3738.jpg

DSC_3733.jpg

DSC_3739.jpg

I just have some 10-24 x 4" Zinc plated bolts they don't fit the best, buy the big box stores didn't have anything long enough in stainless nor did ace hardware.

my father in law has this 18" long or so "Montana Spotted Woodpecker" he got it at the http://www.testyfesty.com/ or Rock Creek Lodge. he said I should buy one and have it shipped I told him no way I can make my own to which he replied ahh its not the same.

well that is my attempt at my own woodpecker its a joke and might offend some people, but I think its great and for now its staying. The Tennis ball was just some thing i stuck on there so it wasn't empty. I am still on the hunt for some cool tap handles been looking at the thrift stores and pawn shops for anything unique I can use.

just need more beer tubing not sure what size i need, but my ss beer lines are pretty darn small. 1/4" would be to large I would guess so I am not sure what size I might stop in lowes tomorrow at lunch with my tower and size up tubing.

-=Jason=-

Classy dick handle haha.

This entire project turned out really nice. I used 3/16ths beer line on our taps and it worked well. Just soaked the end in some hot water for a little and applied some keg lube to the end and it slid right onto the ss beer lines.

I took a tower to work today and got some insulation for the towers.
its hard to see but right around the tubing is black insulation its not hollow.

IMG_20110105_153633.jpg

the inside stuff is K-FlexUSA 7/8" ID x 1/2" wall its smooth black stuff like was inside when I first tore it apart. the outer stuff is kinda like a water noodle material and its 1-3/8" ID x 1/2" wall.

I had to cut a section of the smaller black tubing out and then pealed off the sticky tape on the larger stuff. I then rammed it over the beer/glycol lines and into the tower.

now I need 40' of beer tubing I figure 10' per keg to start off to keep foaming down.

also need some type of clamp to hold it on there. I like the clamps used with my kegging kit from www.KegCowboy.com I am not sure what type of clamp it is but its not as bulky as the stainless hose clamps.

-=Jason=-

not exactly keezer related, but here is my ebay temp controller in the radio shack box.

I cut about an 1" of height off the box to make it 2" tall

IMG_20110105_193706.jpg

-=Jason=-

another coat of paint and some clear coat. here it sits in the kitchen just need to brew some beer now

162907_192415794107465_100000171382742_846919_8193134_n.jpg

-=Jason=-

Sweet job. Now you've got me considering cleaning up mine so it can go in my sunroom.
That's a very professional looking job.

still need to get some grout sealer it will darken it up and protect it from spillage.
also need to get a drip tray.

but at the moment I can pour beer from it.

-=Jason=-

so i am thinking of putting a frame with chalkboard paint up on the wall behind the keezer so I know whats on tap. either that or black grease board

-=Jason=-

went downtown yesterday per a guys retrogradations to look for tap handles. after going in nearly 10 antique stores and finding all the same old crap I had one store left to go into. This was the coolest store of them all. had old knives, bayonet, old skeleton keys, and few tap handles *score*

tap handles were:
4 of these old Milwaukee @ $5 each ,
bphFq.jpg

a Widmear Hefewiezen, $22
41dd_1.JPG

warsteiner can't find an image for it was $25 and was white wood with big round circle of the top.

Red Hook $20 no photos

but I scored this "Dry Blackthorn" and "Old Milwaukee Light" for $10 each.

IMG_20110116_091025.jpg

IMG_20110116_091901.jpg

so its basically done. just need two more tap handles and some drip trays.

-=Jason=-

ok Drips trays.

I'd like flush mounted recessed but those are pretty spendy. the cheapest I have seen is that 19" x 4" x 1" tray for $15. it sits on top of the granite tile and doesn't have a drain.

but I was thinking two drip trays. maybe 6-8" long in front of each tower but I can't find any cheaper than $25 a piece.

any ideas?

-=Jason=-

If you still have some left over slate, you could get the cheaper one build a small frame around it and tile it with slate so that it ramps up to flush. Probably won't look perfect but might go a ways to blend it in.

well I scored some tap handles while picking up the corny kegs

I'm stoked

IMG_20110207_215309.jpg

I have two 8x4x.75 drip trays on order. I am going to get those rubber sticky feet and put under them so they don't slide around. I'd rather not try and cut the granite after I have already installed it.

-=jason=-

Loneleigh said:
Your keezer rocks! Good job! Thanks for the pics.

Thanks man hard work paid off. Only thing left IF I choose to do so would be mounting casters on it.

-= Jason =-

so I just got some 3/16" bev-seal ultra 235 barrier tubing have some new parts on order.

my plan is to use a short stub of the thick 3/16" tubing off each one of my 4 ss beer lines from the tap. I am then going to attach a 1/4" barb x MFL fitting so I can use swivel nuts to connect each end of the tubing. to the couplings and towers.

parts were ordered from IPS aka Installation Parts Supply

they have great pricing on these small fittings and Oetiker clamps as well.

-=Jason=-

Post some pics of all the parts when you get a chance. I am trying to figure out how I will install a ss shank on my tower.

Post some pics of all the parts when you get a chance. I am trying to figure out how I will install a ss shank on my tower.

kinda hard to visualize, but but I will take some photos when the parts arrive and I get it all set up.

I plan on keeping the keezer at 38 and running around 12' of tubing.

-=Jason=-

so my memory card crapped out on me and the photos I took of the new beer lines are gone. this bev-seal is some tricky stuff to get to not leak.

I have some new oetiker clamps on order that should let me get them a bit tighter and eliminate leaks.

-=Jason=-

When you asked about setting it on it's side:

Anytime you set over a fridge or freezer, it is best to let it sit unplugged for 24 hours once you stand it back up. Something with the compressor.

time for some updates.

I still hadn't gotten around to finishing this ting off, but its about 95% done I'd say.

I have added a 2x6 lift kit as I like to call it aka "collar"

I have added 3 Taprite secondary regulators,

I have moved my 20# co2 tank outside the keezer

Still left to do, is cut my granite to trim out the sides and make up my other 3 co2 lines..

on to the photos.
Scored these 4 regulators fr $65 shipped on ebay.
5816-ebay-score-4-taprite-secondary-regulators.jpg

5817-imag0043.jpg

5818-imag0044.jpg

5819-imag0045.jpg

5821-imag0047.jpg

5822-imag0052.jpg

5823-imag0056.jpg

wood stain is el cheapo $1.99 can of spray paint.... it turned out really good IMHO for being a sprayed on application. way easier than doing stains I have done in the past.

-=Jason=-

here is a finished photo of the keezer...
5917-my-finished-keezer.jpg

its been a long time in the works, but its finally done...

the only thing I might do it add a co2 port out the back so I can possibly purge bottles with co2 before bottling them.

-=Jason=-

Looks good, and I wondered what happened to that set of 4 secondary regs. I obviously waited too long - glad to see they went to a good homebrewing home.

Looks good, and I wondered what happened to that set of 4 secondary regs. I obviously waited too long - glad to see they went to a good homebrewing home.

when I first saw the auction I didn't notice Buy it now = Free shipping so I was going to wait until the last few seconds to place my bid. I had another look at the auction and realized I could buy it now and get free shipping and it would be cheaper than getting it at the cheapest price plus shipping.

it was a no brainier.. I pulled the trigger and bought them.

-=jason=-

Here's an updated photo of how the Keezer sits today.

secondary regulators finally added and casters as well.

IMG_20130602_184430.jpg

IMG_20130602_190538.jpg

IMG_20130602_184443.jpg

Jason- That tile looks sharp with polished steel. Helluva durable material too! Sad to hear about the death in the family.

What's inside that stainless side-by-side in the background?? Looks like a new project to me!

that side by side is currently in the kitchen being used. we stayed with my sister in law for a month when we moved back to SoCal. so that was the garage fridge.

I have been thinkng about possible a side by side, but then i'd need shanks and the works. I found another Magic Chef on Craigslist for $120 its very, its a 7.0 CU and mine is 7.2 Cu I think I might be able to swap the rolling frame ane stone work onto the newer one.

-=Jason=-

Looks like I found another magic chef about 30 miles from my house. I might be picking it up tomorrow night.

woot woot. Looks like I found a newer model with the same dimensions as my old one. Let the painting begin. I'm thinking of maybe adding a charcoal stripe or design along with black paint.

ForumRunner_20130911_211324.jpg

Back