Floating Kegs!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
I have had a problem during parties with corny kegs floating once they get to the point that they are not heavy enough to stay on the bottom of the tub. I know this will happen with Sanke kegs, but they usually will stay down for quite sometime and not shoot up like a rocket when they become too light. I have used regular garbage cans and keg tubs and have yet to find a solution to keep these little suckers still, while still looking... you know "classy". Any suggestions? Thanks.

tie it down. if the keg bucket is shorter than the keg. go from the handles of the corny to the handles of the bucket. if no handles, make some. trash cans, i dont know. drain the water?

So that's what they mean by floating a keg, huh? I never knew that.
Aren't you glad that I clarified that for everyone! Sometimes I get a little too carried away with descriptions. One of those job related things with writing. See, here I go again.

Poke a hole in the bottom of the trash can so the water drains out. then you wont have to worry about the water just the ice.

Poke a hole in the bottom of the trash can so the water drains out. then you wont have to worry about the water just the ice.

But the water GREATLY increases the ability of the ice to cool the keg. Air is a terrible conductor of heat, so mostly the ice that is touching the keg will cool it. Thats not a lot of surface area. The water is cooled by the ice too and increases the surface area and heat conductivity greatly of the coolant (ice water).

As for how to keep it down...what about drilling little holes in the rubber bits of the corny, and ataching some fish eye hooks to the bottom of the trash can and tie the keg down, they could be a little loose but when the keg rises it wont shoot up, and the ties will keep it balenced and still submerged in water. though drilling and keeping the water in would be an issues, O-Rings perhaps?

tie it down. if the keg bucket is shorter than the keg. go from the handles of the corny to the handles of the bucket. if no handles, make some. trash cans, i dont know. drain the water?

iamwithstupid.gif

But the water GREATLY increases the ability of the ice to cool the keg.

Yes. But if you drill a hole in the bottom of the Garbage Can and put in a $2 drain valve, leave the water in the garbage can when kegs are full. As the beer goes down in the keg, if they want to start to float, let some of the water out of the garbage can. I suspect anyway that once the beer inside the Keg is cold, it will stay cold with just the ice around the keg even if there is no water.

dp

Yes. But if you drill a hole in the bottom of the Garbage Can and put in a $2 drain valve, leave the water in the garbage can when kegs are full. As the beer goes down in the keg, if they want to start to float, let some of the water out of the garbage can. I suspect anyway that once the beer inside the Keg is cold, it will stay cold with just the ice around the keg even if there is no water.

dp

Fair enough. I thought you were proposing to just drain any melted ice out.

Bungie cord. If holding the keg down with a bungie cord is NOT classy, than neither is dispensing from an exposed keg sitting in a tub of ice. You want classy? 5 tap keezer on wheels.

Back