Floating keg pickup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
Hi all. Just purchased the Torpedo floating pickup for kegs. I have been dry hopping in bags suspended with dental floss plus a bag of hops from previous keg on the bottom. I m wondering am I going to have problems with this setup with the new pickup? How are others dry hopping with the Torpedo type pickups?

Ed B

I think it would be fine. The floaters just make it so you aren't pulling beer from the keg bottom where you can pick up trub. They draw from the top of the beer instead. I suppose there is a possibility that the bag could be too wide and make the float get stuck between it and the keg wall. A SS hop strainer might work better. I'd just try the bag and if beer stops flowing when you know there is still a lot left in the keg, you'll know the float got stuck. Maybe others will chime in. These are just my thoughts. I don't have any actuall experience with floating dip tubes.

A member remarked that he had the float hang up so he added a weight. I just keged this week with the new pickup and my usual hop setup so we will see

Ya. Without ever having one, I would say you'd have to be pretty spot on with the weight of the "weight". A little too light and the floater may not get past the bag. A little too heavy and it might sink the float to the bottom, defeating the whole purpose. I think it'd be better to just make sure the bag or strainer are well enough out of the way by whatever means one can think of. You are already trying it though so, like I said before - if you drink up the whole keg without interupted pouring then, its fine. No need to muck with it. :)

Back