Floating gunk during secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewd004

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out there knows what's floating in my beer. Thinking this is probably hops but want a second opinion. Brewed a Bells Hopslam clone (all grain). Started with a 19lb grain bill with many hop additions. The picture is during secondary fermentation (dry hopping). Think this is gonna be the first beer I cold crash. Thanks in advance for your advice.

image-670624505.jpg

I have the same thing nearly. So far it seems fine as others have said here (and also told me). Good luck.

:off: I have no idea what this thing is but it is sure ugly!
Looks like and octopus died in there... :eek:

Looks like yeast rafts/ floaties to me. You should be just fine.

Just curious how there would be that much material floating in secondary? I've def seen yeast rafts and such but that much? It def lookslike rafts or protein but seem excessive in secondary.

Hey - post up your hop slam clone recipe!

I want to hear how it turns out.

How warm is it? I've seen the same thing if my secondary gets too warm. I wouldn't worry about it though I'm beating it yeast also and you'll be fine. Cold crash should drop it right out :mug:

How does it smell? Did you taste it? It look to me like a pediococcus wort infection. If it is don't dump it. Make another batch of beer and blend them together.
But taste it and note the sourness of it and decide if you can manage to follow my advice. You might be pleasantly surprised how it ends up.

Thanks for all the replies. Just kegged it last night. Turned out to be just hop/yeast. Cold crashed and everything fell to the bottom. Beer smells and tastes great. Super pumped for this one. Will post recipe very shortly.

How does it smell? Did you taste it? It look to me like a pediococcus wort infection. If it is don't dump it. Make another batch of beer and blend them together.
But taste it and note the sourness of it and decide if you can manage to follow my advice. You might be pleasantly surprised how it ends up.

Wow impressive. you can identify an infection simply by looking at it. We usually have to plate it up and grow it anaerobically, while also looking at it under a microscope.

I would have guess Protein and it seems to have coagulated. But I'm not super human.

Wow impressive. you can identify an infection simply by looking at it. We usually have to plate it up and grow it anaerobically, while also looking at it under a microscope.

I would have guess Protein and it seems to have coagulated. But I'm not super human.

With time and experience you should be able to figure it out without all the equipment. We learned that in microbiology. But to be sure, you're right to plate it up and do catalase, gram stain, and fulminating studies. But after doing it over the years it gets to be old hat. I'm sure you'll agree.

Turned out to be just hop/yeast. Cold crashed and everything fell to the bottom. Beer smells and tastes great.

Exactly why I always cold crash before bottling/keggin. Make sure you don't suck that gunk back up upon racking. Did you rinse/wash off the hops before placing into the muslin bag? Could've been residue from the pellets, Glad it all worked out. Now go brew another one.

Latest posts

Back