Floating Flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Reaction score
First off... hello. First post... been doing searches of the site and haven't had anything come up to answer a question I have.

Anyways... I am about 10 days into brewing my second batch of home brew. I have already transfered from the primary (6 gal carboy) to the secondary (5 gal carboy) fermenter. There was a lot of "sediment" (not 100% sure of proper term) on the bottom of the primary carboy during this batch. Way more than the first. First beer was a Wheat beer (wich turned out really good BTW!!!). This batch is a dark Amber.

During transfer I made certain not to suck up any of the stuff from the bottom of the primary. Now after 4 days in the secondary... there is a little bit of "sediment" in the bottom of the carboy which I expected. The beer has cleared up more, and is a nice deep Amber color.

But as of yesterday... there are small flakes that look similar to fish food floating up and down in the carboy. I read on here that they are probably "yeast rafts". But these are floating throught the brew and they float slowly up to the top... or almost to the top... and then sink back to the bottom. There is also a little white stuff on the surface. Which I assume is some of the "rafts" just hanging out on top.

I am going to bottle in a couple more days... and don't want this stuff floating about in the bottles. Should I filter them out when I transfer to my bottling bucket? Use cheesecloth? or a very fine wire strainer?

I have yet to break the airlock seal and smell it. Or take a hydro reading. I am headed in to work swing shift in an hour... so I won't be able to get to the beer after awile to check on it. Won't be home till tomorrow morning.

I ain't doin' squat with it till I find out if I'm okay. I read a good artice on here by one of the members about not messing with stuff if you haven't got a clue as to the reason why you think things might be wrong. So I'm waiting for now... :)

Thanks for a great forum. I look forward to hopefully participating more along my home brewing jorney!

Gary

If you have rafties floating throughout the carboy, then you are not ready to bottle. In fact, I'd say that 10 days is about 2 weeks too early. It's doing what it needs to, so let it be.

Yes it's true, the waiting is the hardest part. Cheers!

It sounds like yeast. You might have racked too early, because this generally means the yeast is still working. Leave it alone and they will drop out.

Latest posts

Back