Floating Dip Tube Tubing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where you can get just the tubing itself that's used on the floating dip tube kits for the Fermzilla fermenters and Torpedo kegs?

It's 1/4 ID, but I bought 7/16 OD which was a bit thick but should still work fine. If you find thinner OD share a link.

The first listing of the link in DuncB's reply shows 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD. Would that be too thin?

One thing I forgot to ask is the stainless float. I guess if they are harder to come by, I could just see if one of the Fermzilla/Torpedo kits have a long enough line.

I measured (from inside of the keg), the bottom of the keg to the opening at the top. It's 33 inches. The keg's posts seem to sit a bit lower due to the top of the keg being somewhat domed.

Think the 31" Fermzilla replacement would work?

Sorry, I’m a bit confused about what you’re looking to do. Are you just trying to install a floating dip tube in a corny keg?

I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

Yes, I have a 15 gallon ball lock corny that I've thought about turning into a "kegmenter". As cheap as those floating dip tube kits are, I thought I'd try fermenting a 10-12 gallon batch in it. The 15 gallons are, obviously, taller than the 5s so thought I ask.

Oh, I see.

I’d say buy the $12 kit that’s maybe long enough, maybe not. You need a dip tube to connect the hose to the outlet. The $17 kit with the shorter hose includes a short stainless dip tube that replaces the big stainless dip tube the keg came with. It leaves about 2” inside the keg. But you can just cut the stainless dip tube you have.

When you get the kit, if the hose is 2” short, just leave another 2” on the stainless dip tube.

I have used this kit with a corny keg and had two issues. First, it was pretty difficult to insert the float and dip tube into the hose. It's a really tight fit. The second issue is that the supplied hose will not fit through the dip tube hole on the keg. I had to insert the supplied dip tube in place and then attach the hose to it from inside the keg which was not easy. Once I did get everything plugged in, it worked great.

I have used this kit with a corny keg and had two issues. First, it was pretty difficult to insert the float and dip tube into the hose. It's a really tight fit. The second issue is that the supplied hose will not fit through the dip tube hole on the keg. I had to insert the supplied dip tube in place and then attach the hose to it from inside the keg which was not easy. Once I did get everything plugged in, it worked great.
Definitely a PIA getting the hose attached to the float and dip tube with new silicone tubing. It gets easier as it stretches. I usually wet it some StarSan to help it on, but I imaging soaking it in hot water could help too.

I've seen that from a few YT vids. Totally agree, but hope it's one of those "once it's done, you're good to go" things.

I hesitate to post this because it might be viewed as an ad but I have no vested interest in this float. I just find it to be a well designed, very good substitute to the torpedo float. The tube for this does fit the dip tube hole on a corny keg so it can be attached to the dip tube before inserting it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2840108137...wKxQg_vSeq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you have one of these, how long is the supplied tubing? I know it's going to be a bear trying to put the tubing on the dip tube from inside of the keg, but this may be the one I get if the tubing is long enough. I'll contact the seller and see.

Thanks for posting that link. Glad you didn't hesitate. ;)

I just connected two last weekend. It slipped over the filter very easily. The dip tube is harder and awkward, being inside the keg. But I just dipped the hose in my boiling wort for 15 seconds and pushed it on. Its a bit of a struggle for like a minute or two and then its done.

But that said, it would be nice if the hose fit through the hole. Not only easier to set up, but later to clean. I just leave it in and push cleaner with CO2, but it would be nice to dissemble it sometimes.

If you have one of these, how long is the supplied tubing? I know it's going to be a bear trying to put the tubing on the dip tube from inside of the keg, but this may be the one I get if the tubing is long enough. I'll contact the seller and see.

Thanks for posting that link. Glad you didn't hesitate. ;)
Not exactly sure how long the tube is (I have three but they're all in kegs) but it reaches to the bottom of a 5 gal. corny keg

I just connected two last weekend. It slipped over the filter very easily. The dip tube is harder and awkward, being inside the keg. But I just dipped the hose in my boiling wort for 15 seconds and pushed it on. Its a bit of a struggle for like a minute or two and then its done.

But that said, it would be nice if the hose fit through the hole. Not only easier to set up, but later to clean. I just leave it in and push cleaner with CO2, but it would be nice to dissemble it sometimes.
I do the same. Leave it in and push through cleaner.

Not exactly sure how long the tube is (I have three but they're all in kegs) but it reaches to the bottom of a 5 gal. corny keg

I just emailed the seller. I asked him about the length of the tubing. You can buy the slimmer dip tubes only (3 for $9.95) if one wanted so I asked if his dip tubes would work with the other kits from Fermzilla and Torpedo. I went ahead and asked after seeing a couple of posts about making it easier to clean if the whole assembly could slide out of the dip tube hole. I'll post back his replies as soon as I get them.

So I went ahead and placed an order. The standard length of tubing is 22" but the seller, "trongo", told me he could do a longer line if needed, so he's sending me one with 45" of tubing that I can cut to size if needed. It's a bit pricier than the Fermzilla replacement floating diptube ($30 vs $12), but this one has a double filter (500 and 300 micron) on the end along with the ability of not having to contort your hands inside the keg to connect it. The Fermzilla was just the tubing and floatie.

The tubing he uses is 6mm, or 1/4". My guess is those thinner dip tubes would probably work on the floating dip tubes for the Torpedo and Fermzilla if someone wanted to be able to easily disassemble for cleaning. A 3 pack is $9.95 if anyone is interested. That guy sells a pretty cool looking spunding valve too. I think I've seen it reviewed by Brian at Short Circuited Brewers. It's pricy compared to Kegland's.

Thanks @szap

I just emailed the seller. I asked him about the length of the tubing. You can buy the slimmer dip tubes only (3 for $9.95) if one wanted so I asked if his dip tubes would work with the other kits from Fermzilla and Torpedo. I went ahead and asked after seeing a couple of posts about making it easier to clean if the whole assembly could slide out of the dip tube hole. I'll post back his replies as soon as I get them.
You will be impressed with the owner. He is great to work with.

Update:

Sorry guys, it's been awhile. Luckily, I've gotten to brew a bit more this year, but not so much on any double batches. I did get my floating dip tube from the seller that @szap mentioned, and am very happy with it. The seller added a longer 45" tubing at no additional cost. Very happy with the new setup. I used it recently on a double batch brew day and everything went smoothly. This will probably be my new favorite fermenter for a while for 10 gallon batches. I'll post some pics in a new thread as I also modified the keg lid and added a triclamp port to it.

Quickun Pure Silicone Tubing, 5mm ID x 7mm OD High Temp Food Grade Tube Pure Silicone Hose Tube for Home Brewing, Beer Line, Kegerator, Wine Making, Aquaponics, Air Hose by Proper Pour ( 9.84 Ft ) https://a.co/d/9qGXrJV

This is what trong the manufacturer of the flotit uses. Pretty sure its the same stuff as the kegland one

Latest posts

Back