Floating Dip Tube In Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
There are a number of products out there that are designed to transfer clear beer into your fermenter. There's the Trub Trapper, Hop Blocker, various trub dam & mesh options too. Currently I whirlpool and just let the wort sit for 30+ minutes and transfer slowly into my fermenter. However, I'm wondering if anyone has tried a floating dip tube? They make them for the Fermentasaurus. With the diameter of the tubing used on those though, it would be difficult to use on a boil kettle that usually has a 3/8" or 1/4" diptube. I was thinking maybe using something like the stainless float that comes with the Blichmann AutoSparge. I don't know. I have a Blichmann kettle that I've modified to have the standard diptube as well as the whirlpool arm. To use something like this I'd either need to use the whirlpool arm or change the angle of the current diptube to allow the silicone tubing to not kink.

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone tried this before?

I tried various methods to avoid getting trub into my fermenters -- bazooka screens, whirlpooling, filters. Eventually I gave up, particularly after reading a Brulosophy experiment on the subject. Now, I just fill the fermenter without caring how much trub goes in. I have not noticed any adverse effects on my beer.

There are a number of products out there that are designed to transfer clear beer into your fermenter. There's the Trub Trapper, Hop Blocker, various trub dam & mesh options too. Currently I whirlpool and just let the wort sit for 30+ minutes and transfer slowly into my fermenter. However, I'm wondering if anyone has tried a floating dip tube? They make them for the Fermentasaurus. With the diameter of the tubing used on those though, it would be difficult to use on a boil kettle that usually has a 3/8" or 1/4" diptube. I was thinking maybe using something like the stainless float that comes with the Blichmann AutoSparge. I don't know. I have a Blichmann kettle that I've modified to have the standard diptube as well as the whirlpool arm. To use something like this I'd either need to use the whirlpool arm or change the angle of the current diptube to allow the silicone tubing to not kink.

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone tried this before?

You'd need to let it settle out anyway, so you might as well whirlpool. Could you just run it over the edge of the kettle somehow?

Actually sounds like a pretty cool idea that ought to work. Even after whirlpooling and letting things settle, I've noticed a perfectly solid cone that when transferring would collapse as soon as the liquid level drops. Sludge would always end up getting transferred.

I too quit worrying about transferring completely clear wort to the fermenter. I never considered using a floating dip tube. It ought to work. I think you'll end up sacrificing wort at the bottom, or picking up sludge in the end, but either way ... still a cool idea.

I don't think any of these are really going to work that well...I'm like @pvpeacock where I just don't care anymore - I'm more about taste. However what I might try is a no-chill cube, let it sit for a day or 2, transfer then to the fermenter - I'd assume letting it sit in the cube for 2 days would allow everything to settle to the bottom??

I just fill the fermenter without caring how much trub goes in. I have not noticed any adverse effects on my beer.
Yeah. I didn't notice it much with previous beers that I did this with either...until they get a little age on them. After a month or two, the "trubby" beers just don't seem to hold up as well in my experience. While most of my beers don't last that long, I still want to be brewing the best beer possible.

I too quit worrying about transferring completely clear wort to the fermenter...I think you'll end up sacrificing wort at the bottom, or picking up sludge in the end...
I already sacrifice quite a bit of wort at the bottom due to cutting my transfer off into the fermenter a little bit after the sludge starts to come through the tubing. I put a little in there for yeast health. I do try to be a little careful though & not just let all the goo dump in.

I just don't care anymore - I'm more about taste.
I'm with you. I want to care about the things I should care about.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a shot & see if I can get a hold of a float. I've got some spare 3/8" silicone tubing I can try it with. I'll report back.

Latest posts

Back