Floating crystals?! Bottling question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffy100

Reaction score
I've got a big batch of kiwi fruit wine that is about ready for bottling, but I have noticed quite alot of floating 'crystals' on the surface?!It doesn't look like mould, more like fused particles of crystalised sugar perhaps. Has anyone else had this happen. I am thinking I will rack the wine, and filter it, add campden tablets and bottle it in a week or so. As a bit of a novice, would that sound the right thing to do? Thanks!:)

What was the recipe you used? Did you add pectic enzyme before you started? It's more than likely pectin crystallizing, if you can cold stabilize it for a few weeks it will stick to the sides and won't transfer to the bottle, otherwise just bottle it won't effect flavor or drink-ability, just the look on the bottles.

What kind of a filtering setup do you have? I think most filters would clog up if they had actual particles in them, as the filtering is more for removing yeast and things that cause haze. I would NOT bottle this wine until it was completely clear and without any sediment or particles in it. If it's got some floaters, it's certainly not ready for bottling.

I'd do what the last person said. If the wine is done, and clear, and no longer throwing any lees, put it somewhere very cold (but above 30 degrees) for a couple of weeks. That should have anything that is floating settle.

Make sure the carboy remains topped up, so that there is no headspace. Headspace will allow mold to grow, as well as bacteria, and allow oxidation.

Have racked off the wine and added campden. I did add pectic enzyme at the beginning so it could be that as suggested. It didn't look bad once I started racking it, it was all just on the surface and not throughout the wine. The wine is really clear otherwise. It has been bulk aging for at least 4 months now in a very cold garage, so I'm thinking I will bottle it next week, or is that too soon after adding the campden? Thanks.

You can filter a week after stabilizing with Campden, though I usually rack one final time since dead yeast cells usually drop after that last Campden dose. It could also be from the Campden, there are some on the market that do cause white particles...personally will not use it unless I find the one that says it will not cause particles to develop. Has to do with binding agents used to make the tablets. I just buy k-meta in a zipstyle bag from LHBS.

When you filter do you just use one size filter, or do you use two different filtrer cycles? I would think the filtering cycle would capture this stuff, though you want to make sure it will not harm your pump.

Back