Stabilizing Mead Before Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jger21

Reaction score
Hey all! This is my first post, so hopefully doing this right. I have started my first few 1 gallon batches of mead last month: have a blueberry cyser, blueberry melomel, blueberry acerglyn, and a regular acerglyn currently actively fermenting. I racked out of the fruit after about 14 days contact for all. I prefer more of a desert wine/sweet wine to something that is dryer. For this reason, once fermentation appears to be complete and any bulk aging/clarifying, I was planning on tasting prior to stabilizing and bottling to determine if backsweetening is even necessary. It sounds like a combination of K sorbate and k metabisulfate is kind of the go to for this to stabilize prior to sweetening. But was hoping to see how others go about this.

also The k meta that I have is the powder from LD Carlson and only gives directions to kill wild yeast for a 5 gal batch (1/4 teaspoon to 5 gal). Obviously this is a little difficult to measure 1/6 of 1/4 th of a teaspoon so I don’t know if I would be better just picking up campden tablets that give directions per gallon or if I should try to dilute this in some distilled h20 to get a ratio similar to the 1/4 per gallon. Thanks.

any feedback would be great!

K-Sorbate and K-Meta are correct. For a small batch you can dissolve 1/4 TSP in 1-1/4 cup water and use 1/4 cup per gallon. Or, Campden - that's convenient for small batches.

Back