Floaties in the bottles...why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymaud

Reaction score
I brewed a Sierra Nevada clone and all went well, however, I noticed the bottles (at least some of them) seem to have stuff floating around in them. Most just have it at the bottom, but one I picked up the other day had a clump floating at the top. I almost looks like irish moss. I don't think it's mold. I was very careful about sanitizing everything and it doesn't ahve any off taste or odor. I was also careful about not sucking up trub with the syphon. It doesn't look like yeast either. Yeast usually lays flat on the bottom like a thin layer of mud. This is bigger chunks that break apart when poured.
Any idea what it might be or how I can avoid it in the future. The only thing I can think of is that its pieces of hops. I dry hopped using pellets, but I used a fine mesh hop bag and never stirred it up or anything.

Thanks

How long has it been in the bottles? Sometimes it is simply "yeast clumpies" that are floating around after working to carbonate the beer. Eventually, they'll fall to the bottom with the rest of the flocculated yeast, especially when refrigerated. Some yeast is more highly flocculant than other yeast, and will form a super tight compacted bed in the bottle, and some will tend to want to float. Either way, with a little time, they'll fall to the bottom.

It could possibly be little pieces of hops pellets- if that is the case, those too will fall to the bottom.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Yooperbrew..Could be the yeast. It's been carbonating for just over 2 weeks. I used Wyeast 1056(?) American ale yeast.

Thanks homebrewer 99. Thats exactly why I DO secondary and rack carefully. That's why I dont think that is the problem

Yooperbrew..Could be the yeast. It's been carbonating for just over 2 weeks. I used Wyeast 1056(?) American ale yeast.

Thanks homebrewer 99. Thats exactly why I DO secondary and rack carefully. That's why I dont think that is the problem

1056 usually cleans up nicely, so I think in another week or so your floaties will be gone. I bet it's flocculated yeast that just hasn't fallen yet.

Back