Flavors from Cedar Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently opened a bottle of batch #5 Jester King El Cedro and I was shocked at how much grapefruit and citrus flavor there was. I got a couple of bottles of this in the fall of 2014 and we opened one bottle immediately. The flavor of that first bottle was fantastic, but not really citrus-forward. I was trying to figure out why the second bottle tasted so strongly of citrus.

I appreciate that this flavor could be coming from the yeast, not the hops which would have aged out. But I am also interested to find out what the cedar-aging does to beer as this was aged on cedar (well, Spanish mahogany). Does anyone knows what affect cedar aging has on beer flavor? Does the cedar add something that I could be confusing with grapefruit or other citrus? or does the cedar possibly hold the initial flavor from the hops to keep it from fading?

Thank you.

I cedar aged a gallon of pale ale that I made and it made it extremely dry and sort of musty flavored. I may have done it for too long. Maybe this was just my experience, but I'm guessing cedar isn't going to impart citrusy flavors.

Back