Flavored Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
We have a winery near us that does a lot of ciders, they have a passion pineapple that’s very good. They do a hibiscus ginger, right now they have a Carmel Apple and honey lavender.

My understanding from the people that serve at the taproom is that all of the ciders are made from the their traditional ciders. If this is the case how are they getting these flavors? Are the adding purées, juices, flavorings, or something else?

I can only guess, but my best guess is that I can't guess.

They are either using, extracts, essences, the actual ingredients, puree, juices/teas or any combination. Also keep in mind that my list is not all inclusive.

One of my house ciders is Ginger hibiscus. My preferred method useus1kg ginger and 8-10oz hibiscus flowers. Ginger diced then frozen (usually because I do it in advance) and make a consomme. Hibiscus I make into a strong tea and let it steep for at least an hour. Then add to 5gal of apple juice.

However, I've used ginger juice as well as just add ginger straight to the fermenter.

Hibiscus, I've tossed in loose (don't recommend) and also in hop bags (good option, but still prefer tea method).

I've never bothered with extract, essence or flavorings, but no reason it can't be done.

Also, can be a primary or secondary addition. Or could be independently fermented into a wine and blended in with apple.

I can only guess, but my best guess is that I can't guess.

They are either using, extracts, essences, the actual ingredients, puree, juices/teas or any combination. Also keep in mind that my list is not all inclusive.

One of my house ciders is Ginger hibiscus. My preferred method useus1kg ginger and 8-10oz hibiscus flowers. Ginger diced then frozen (usually because I do it in advance) and make a consomme. Hibiscus I make into a strong tea and let it steep for at least an hour. Then add to 5gal of apple juice.

However, I've used ginger juice as well as just add ginger straight to the fermenter.

Hibiscus, I've tossed in loose (don't recommend) and also in hop bags (good option, but still prefer tea method).

I've never bothered with extract, essence or flavorings, but no reason it can't be done.

Thanks for the reply. So when making these flavored ciders the flavors are added prior to the ferment? I was considering making 5 gallons of a dry cider and adding flavor after the ferment.

Either. Both are correct. Sorry to give an ambiguous answer but it just depends on what it is and whatyou are looking to get from it.

With ginger, it's tough and I like the spice. I want to give it lots of time to extract the peppery bite.

Hibiscus has a tartness that I like and I like a long steep or a tea. Think of it like hops, early and late additions as well as dry hopping add different profiles. Same is true for teas and spices. Can even do multiple additions, early, late and secondary.

I do All my flavorings post fermentation & cold crash...which I think gives me the best control over the end product. I use a variety of things:

100% fruit concentrates from www.brownwoodacres.com

Make my own caramel syrup

FPJC -- frozen pineapple juice concentrate

Cinammon sticks

Sliced jalapenos

Various tinctures

The world is your oyster! [emoji12]

Cheers [emoji111]

Back