Flavor washout ? Is that even a thing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
I've run into a situation where whiskey tastes like water. Now I drink very very slowly. Like 1 drink in 2 hrs isn't even a rare occurance for me. In a 12+ hr day I barely clocked 3. But anyway, I've run into where the 2nd 1/2 of the drink tastes like water. Now if I eat something between sips, or even drink water, the next sip is like whiskey but then it washes out again.
What's happening ??? Have I killed off the taste buds with whiskey ?
It doesn't happen when drinking beer or mixed drinks. Even if they're whiskey based.

Do you drink any water, or other hydrating liquids on a normal basis? If your mouth stays dehydrated, it will exascerbate the dehydrating effects of alcohol, which deadens the taste buds. I wouldn't think it should happen that quick, but I don't have MD, DDS, or anything like that after my name. It's just a possibility.

Interesting. I experience something similar whenever I'm coming down with something or feeling under the weather. A lot of allergies this time of the year too.

well i want to say, i usually just start cussing...

but aren't you the guy that likes swirling phlegm around in your mouth? so i don't have any advice....my appolagies if i mistaken you for someone else, i'm still trying to block it out....might miss a bit...

I dont like swirling phlegm in my mouth, but I do hold it till I can get to the bathroom sink. It takes time sometimes, cos I have a complicated house with a lot of clutter. I also like chewing on mushrooms, and the scoby I was talking about eating is closer to cooked mushroom than phlegm.

Do you drink any water, or other hydrating liquids on a normal basis? If your mouth stays dehydrated, it will exascerbate the dehydrating effects of alcohol, which deadens the taste buds. I wouldn't think it should happen that quick, but I don't have MD, DDS, or anything like that after my name. It's just a possibility.

This is a good point, I sometimes do, sometimes dont. I experience less washout if I drink water between sips of whiskey. Unfortunately it still washes out eventually. I could try sipping water and rolling it in my mouth like I do with whiskey. I drink whiskey in micro sips, and literally rolling it in my mouth, often taking 2+ hrs per legal drink. Beer also I drink super super slow with the bottle getting recapped with my capper and its put in the freezer between bags of frozen vegetables. I experience less washout there but still have some. Water between sips rolled around in my mouth is a worthwhile experiment. Will do and post back.

Back