Flavor there then gone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
So my pumpkin Ale had taste last week and now it's gone. When I bottled it I added more spices to kick it up. I bottled in 22 Oz bottles. It seems the bigger bottles are hit and miss. Now it's just a little pumpkin taste, starch taste, And that's all. In the bottle 3weeks.

bxtzd3 said:
So my pumpkin Ale had taste last week and now it's gone. When I bottled it I added more spices to kick it up. I bottled in 22 Oz bottles. It seems the bigger bottles are hit and miss. Now it's just a little pumpkin taste, starch taste, And that's all. In the bottle 3weeks.

I've never noticed any difference between big or small bottles.

Some flavors tend to fade over time depending on your process and carbonation will alter things as well.

Flavors can fade or change over time, but I doubt there would be much difference over a week or two. Typically people worry about hops aroma fading over time. I doubt spices would change much except after many months. I agree with duboman, I don't see how the size of the bottles would affect this.

Here are a couple other ideas:

- Spices added at bottling were not evenly mixed
- Temperature of the beer can affect flavor (generally colder means less flavor).
- Pouring into a glass gets more flavor (really more aroma, which is closely related) than drinking from a bottle.
- Possibly an infection is slowly eating away your residual sugars (this would probably be obvious with a sour taste and/or excessive foaming).

Well its been 3 weeks both cold and warm has pumpkin starchy flavor but the spice character is gone it was there week one but had no carb so I let it sit 2 more weeks. I put 1 table spoon as per recipe in the boil the another at bottle time. I don't know

Back