Flavor/Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgundyblue

Reaction score
My porter still has 2.5 weeks to bottle condition, but we cracked one open early. We noticed it has little flavor on the front, but has great after taste. How/when do you add ingredients (this happened to be a vanilla-bourbon porter) to get most of the flavor on the front end?

Thanks in advance!

Is it kind of dry? Usually sweetness carries frontal flavors in beer. In fact I don't know if this is totally valid but evidently the front of the tongue is more sensitive to sweet flavors.

We figured out the problem. We added water after the boil to make our amount around 2.5 gal. Watered it down. Giving it a second go next week.

What was your batch size? If it was only a gallon batch, that was definitely your problem. Young "green" beers can have a watery, low "front end" taste. I bet if you give it those extra 2.5 weeks, you'll notice a big difference.

You can't judge a beer at this stage. The reason we suggest that a beer takes 3 or more weeks, is that conditioning takes time, Flavors haven't fully developed yet. Some things don't come out til the beer has fully carbed, some things haven't developed yet, other things have to fade.

Your asking about "flavor issues" of a beer that won't taste the same, when it is REALLY, ready.

What Revvy said is definitely true, however if you took a 1.060 beer and watered it down to 1.035 it's not going to develop more flavor with age. What was the OG/FG of your recipe?

Other than adding more water post boil, we never took a gravity reading until after the fact. It's my first brew, so lessons were learned. Thanks for all the info, guys!

Back