Flavor Settling Out at Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinokath

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Using the Bubly drops by SodaStream to flavor a 5 gallon corny keg because we go through about 2 cases a week and it's much better for the landfill to dispense from a keg than to use up all those aluminum cans.

My process is to add the flavoring to the empty keg (63ml per 5 gallons), fill 3/4 of the way, seal, shake violently for about a minute, unseal, top off, pressurize and then rock violently for about 5 minutes at 45 psi, chill under the same pressure for a day or so, switch to a 10 psi serving pressure CO2 line, tap and serve.

Problem I am having is it tastes/smells great at first but then about half way through the keg, it loses it's flavor/aroma and basically tastes like plain seltzer. Is it because:

A - The flavor falls out of suspension and winds up concentrating at the bottom
or
B - The flavor/aroma dies off on it's own after being opened

Thoughts and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Dean

I'm not sure of this particular product but I could see either of those being the right answer. I'm not sure those are designed to survive longer than it takes to drink a glass so they may break down when diluted or sink to the bottom over time.

I do the same thing although I go through even more seltzer water than you do, especially because it's so cheap on tap. I have had really good success with the LorAnn flavorings. I add 1/2 tsp to just under five gallons which seems to be right for my tastes. I don't have problems losing the flavor through the keg. In fact, instead of cleaning the keg after it empties I usually refill it and get a lighter flavored second keg.

Flavoring oils seem to have the reverse problem from the Bubly drops you bought. In my experience they will integrate well at first but start to separate with time and I would end up with this intense float of oil in the last pint or two.

I've also had good success adding chopped fruit in a bag which gets more of a thin juice but a nice alternative sometimes.

Back