Flavor deterioration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBrewin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

im still relatively new to brewing.

i have 4 batches under my belt now and have been reading the Joy of HB religiously..

it has been rediculously fun and relatively smooth sailing so far.

however, one thing has been bothering me.

the first batch was an american amber ale and the second a mild brown.

the mild brown was good, but the amber was amazing.

for both of these batches i simply fermented in a carboy for 2 weeks, racked to plastic bucket for bottling, then bottle conditioned for two weeks..

of course i got impatient and cracked a couple open after about 10 days and was thoroughly impressed.

however after about 3-4 weeks the flavor of both brews deteriorated significantly.

my question is: Is there something i did wrong? Is there a way for me to prolong the life of my brew?

i can certainly provide more detail and clarification on anything.

thank you in advance.

PS: i searched and came up with nothing on this. HBT has been great to me otherwise.

I am assuming that you follow good sanitation practices while brewing, transferring, and bottling your beer.

Can you describe how the flavor deteriorated significantly after prolonged periods in the bottles?

i always sanitize fairly well.

not sure how i could do any better on that end of things.

and about 3-4 weeks AFTER the 2 weeks of conditioning, the brew started to lose all the malty and hoppy flavors. it just started to taste like bad/old beer...

Could you be getting major aeration while transferring/bottling?

Just a thought, I'm still a major newb too. :)

Yea - could be some aeration. Not sure. sunlight skunkyness?

Should still be gaining flavors - maybe it is in a tweener stage? I know beer goes through a few stages in it's aging process. I've had some that were great young, got rather bland after a few months and then a few more months were great!

My Ambers are the best at 3-4 months after 3 weeks of conditioning. Longer and they seem to go down hill.

ok.

yea. i think its probobaly aeration then.

my racking for bottling mightve been less smooth than i thought.

the brew elder at my LHBS said it sounds like aeration to him as well.

thanks guys.

ill try to be more careful in the future.

-Zach

Back