Flat Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlurryEyed

Reaction score
Greetings all,

New homebrewers here. Our first batch was a LME Cali Pale.

Upon bottling day (3 weeks of fermentation) we ended up with 4.2 Gallons in the bottling bucket.

We used a Dextrose sugar priming solution. Per the NB calculator, we used 1/2 cup of dextrose sugar in a priming solution for 4.2 gallons of beer that was at 68 degrees.

We bottled in 24x 22oz bottles and stored at room temp for 2 weeks. After a 24 hour chill, we popped the first top and while it popped, the beer was flat. We figure OK, its too early - let's use it in a marinade and let the rest go another week. Well today will have been 3 weeks of room temp bottle conditioning and while it is better, it's still pretty flat to our tastes.

Here's what I figure (and why I'm here), we can either:

A) Let it go 1-2 more weeks in bottle conditioning
B) Pour the beers into a corny and try to force carb
C) Cut our losses and move on to our next batch

Is it worth salvaging? Is force carbing even an option?

I know most will ask "If you had a corny, why'd you bottle?" Well, we just got the corny for future batches.

Cheers-

Sometimes they take a while to carb up. I wouldn't keg now because you will introduce a lot of oxygen. Patience.

First, know that most priming calculators are wrong! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/priming-calculator-error-510364/
(Okay, they are only a little wrong.)

Second, you should measure by weight -- not volume -- for better accuracy.

Third, it is important to keep the temp around 70. If they get cold, the yeast will drop out, and they may need to be roused to continue, even if you reheat.

I didn't check your calcs, but if you maintained the proper temp, I'm guessing more time won't help. Personally, I would drink them a little flat and move on to the next batch.

Sounds like more time is key.

Would it help to add more sugar next time, say 2/3 cup instead of 1/2 for the same volume?

House is typically 72, but the closet I keep beer in is 68. I'll move them to a little warmer spot and see if that helps any.

It seems to me that bottles larger than 12 ounces take longer to condition. I know, there isn't any logical reason that I can think for that to happen, but it seems to work out that way for me.

I'd give them more time. The fact that waiting another week seemed to produce an improvement is reason enough to simply wait it out and see what happens.

Sounds like more time is key.

Would it help to add more sugar next time, say 2/3 cup instead of 1/2 for the same volume?

House is typically 72, but the closet I keep beer in is 68. I'll move them to a little warmer spot and see if that helps any.

Let us know if time helps, please. At 68, the carbing should be done. But I've been wrong before -- once when I thought I made a mistake. ;)

Just popped a top on another 22. Again, a slight increase in carbonation, but still not a preferred level. Also, there seemed to be better carbonation towards the end of the bottle (split between two glasses)

When we bottled, I recall stirring the priming solution into the final product in the bottling bucket. Any other steps required for bottling?

Brewed my next batch on Saturday. Will be kegging this one, a Nelson Clone:

View attachment 1425964641240.jpg

Latest posts

Back