Flat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyDW

Reaction score
Hi, I just opened my first beer to check carbonation levels and my beer was flat. There was definitely noise and gas being released, but the beer was completely flat. Does the bottles just need to be refrigerated for a longer period of time for the CO2 to be dissolved?

Hi, I just opened my first beer to check carbonation levels and my beer was flat. There was definitely noise and gas being released, but the beer was completely flat. Does the bottles just need to be refrigerated for a longer period of time for the CO2 to be dissolved?

Details please. Especially what was the beer, how long did it ferment before you primed it, what did you use to prime it with(and how much), what temp. did you store the primed beer at, and finally, how long were they stored at temperature?

How long have the bottles been conditioning and at what temperature? 3 weeks at about 70 degrees is common. The chill for a day or two at least.

You did prime with the appropriate amount of sugar, I assume.

It is a pale ale, almost a blonde. It fermented for 2.5 weeks before being bottled. It has only been about 10 days with bottle conditioning, so maybe that is not enough time. The temperature has been 70-72 degrees. I primed with regular table sugar, and did calculations beforehand to achieve the correct volume of CO2 for a mild pale ale.

You need at least 2 weeks to see any decent carb levels. Let it go longer and it should carb up nicely. Also did you add your sugar water and rack on top of that to make sure it was evenly distributed?

Next batch, fill one plastic 12oz twist-top soda bottle.
When that bottle gets rock hard, your beers are ready for chilling...

Cheers!

If you heard the 'pssssstt' noise then it is carbing up. Definitely give it another 7-10 days for full effect. Also, pour straight down the middle to get the most head.

I had trouble dialing in the proper amount of priming solution but recently I have been able to pour down the center and not overflow the pint glass. Feels good!

How long have the bottles been conditioning and at what temperature? 3 weeks at about 70 degrees is common. The chill for a day or two at least.

You did prime with the appropriate amount of sugar, I assume.

Just curious....remember when we were young and we'd shake a bottle of beer and open it and then spray your friends with beer? I wonder if it would help carbonate/condition our bottled beer if we would shake them a little while they are carbonating.

Next batch, fill one plastic 12oz twist-top soda bottle.
When that bottle gets rock hard, your beers are ready for chilling...

Cheers!

I have never done this but it sounds like a great idea.

If you heard the 'pssssstt' noise then it is carbing up. Definitely give it another 7-10 days for full effect. Also, pour straight down the middle to get the most head.

I had trouble dialing in the proper amount of priming solution but recently I have been able to pour down the center and not overflow the pint glass. Feels good!

I find that some create very little head, so pouring down the center works, others have a lot of head and I have to pour down the side very gently.

Just curious....remember when we were young and we'd shake a bottle of beer and open it and then spray your friends with beer? I wonder if it would help carbonate/condition our bottled beer if we would shake them a little while they are carbonating.

I think it works for making yourself a target. I don't know if it would do anything for bottle conditioning, I doubt it.

Actually yes it does, but it helps by resuspending yeast. After 1 week at temp., I rotate my bottles and give them each a little shake. I also fill one plastic soda bottle with each batch after reading about it 3-4 years back (Nightshade I think- whatever happened to him?)It really helps with the peace of mind thing..........

Latest posts

Back