Flat Beer... Why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNHomebrew

Reaction score
So I brew with my dad and were pretty new to the Home Brewing world. Our first batch was the Dead Ringer IPA that came with the deluxe kit we bought. IT TURNED OUT GREAT!
We're doing extract kits only then will switch to all-grain when we have it down.

The last 3 batches though haven't turned out so well though...

We brewed a Red Ale that turned out flat... Very flat. So we dumped that batch and moved on. We weren’t exactly sure what we did wrong but just thought we would pay more attention to the directions next time.

We've brewed the following. Not in order but there in the process or bottled...

1. Pirates Plunder India Dark Ale - http://www.northernbrewer.com/pirate-s-plunder-india-dark-ale-extract-kit

2. Dunkelweizen - http://www.northernbrewer.com/dunkelweizen-extract-kit

3. Grandma's Secret Stash - http://www.northernbrewer.com/grandmas-secret-stash

4. Mustache Envy Belgian Stout - http://www.northernbrewer.com/musta...imited-edition-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains

5. Permafrost WIPA - http://www.northernbrewer.com/permafrost-extract-india-white-ale-recipe-kit

That being said the Pirates and Mustache have also turned out flat and we have no idea why. I can understand having one batch turn out like that (Red Ale) but not three in a row... We followed their directions exactly. We have no idea why our first batch turned out so good but now our last three have been flat and non drinkable.

We called Northern brewer and asked them for suggestions on what might be causing this. They said we might be keeping the beer at a too low of a temp. and the yeast isn't able to do it's job. We thought that was a pretty good explanation so we moved our batches upstairs and stored them in a closet with a small heater. Yes this doesn't sound like the safest thing in the world but I'm not too worried about it. We let that sit in their for two weeks while also spinning the bottles a little bit to mix around the yeast per Northern Brewer. Tried them yesterday after the two weeks was up and STILL flat. I have no idea what else to do... I don’t want to dump the beer in the bottles but if I have too I will. I'm also worried about the Dunkelweizen, Grandmas, and a WIPA that I just brewed. Their all in the secondary’s and Primary but I don't want them to turn out like the rest...

Please Home Brewing community help me out here!

You did add priming sugar didn't you? Two weeks at 70 degrees and they may be carbonated, 3 weeks and they should be carbonated. Lower than 70 degrees will take longer.
Darker beers sometimes take a little longer and usually will taste better with some aging. Depending on the type they might be right at a month others are best at 6 months to a year.
Two weeks at what temperature? Then chill for at least overnight. Some suggest a few days, but I have never found that to be helpful.

Are you adding priming sugar for the yeast to eat to create the co2 to carb the beers?

Also are you using twist off bottles for bottling? The threads make it notoriously difficult to get a good seal without leaking. If using twist offs try using a few pop top bottles to see if that helps?

You did add priming sugar didn't you? Two weeks at 70 degrees and they may be carbonated, 3 weeks and they should be carbonated. Lower than 70 degrees will take longer.
Darker beers sometimes take a little longer and usually will taste better with some aging. Depending on the type they might be right at a month others are best at 6 months to a year.
Two weeks at what temperature? Then chill for at least overnight. Some suggest a few days, but I have never found that to be helpful.

I added 2/3 tablespoon of sugar I believe... Whatever the instructions say is what I did.

So I kept them downstairs in my basement and the thermostat is upstairs set at 71F. We moved the beer upstairs and let it sit in a room for two weeks and it was still flat. Hoping moving it from downstairs to upstairs (more of a stable temp.) would be better for the yeast.

We let it chill for at least 24 hours before drinking. We've been only putting one beer in at a time since they haven't been turning out well.

Are you adding priming sugar for the yeast to eat to create the co2 to carb the beers?

Also are you using twist off bottles for bottling? The threads make it notoriously difficult to get a good seal without leaking. If using twist offs try using a few pop top bottles to see if that helps?

Yes, 2/3 tablespoon I believe. I just followed the instructions and I think that's what it called for.

I'm not using twist offs either :/

The beer sometimes "Heads well" and others don't if that matters any?

The "Brew Master" at Northern Brewer said it might be a yeast issue. Whenever I crack open one it seems like theirs carbonation as it makes the "Psshhh" noise whenever it's opened.

We moved the beer upstairs to a room with a heater and still flat... I'm completely lost on what to do...

Check your measurements, it should be 2/3 cup. If you used 2/3 tablespoon you did not use enough.

This looks like the problem. Northern Brewer, where you got your kits, has a priming calculator on the website. Scroll to the bottom, and click on resources. You will find it there.

Get a digital scale and weigh your priming sugar, it is much more accurate that way.

Check your measurements, it should be 2/3 cup. If you used 2/3 tablespoon you did not use enough.

Sorry all of the equipment, beer, instructions are at my old mans house since I don't have room at my house. I just checked with him and it's 2/3 CUP of sugar with 16 oz of water. Sorry about the mislead/confusion.

This looks like the problem. Northern Brewer, where you got your kits, has a priming calculator on the website. Scroll to the bottom, and click on resources. You will find it there.

Get a digital scale and weigh your priming sugar, it is much more accurate that way.

I just checked with my old man and it's 2/3 CUP of sugar with 16 oz and boil. Sorry that was my mistake. All of equipment, beer, supplies, are at my dads house since I don't have room at my current location.

The "Brew Master" at Northern Brewer said it might be a yeast issue. Whenever I crack open one it seems like theirs carbonation as it makes the "Psshhh" noise whenever it's opened.

We moved the beer upstairs to a room with a heater and still flat... I'm completely lost on what to do...

The beer sometimes "Heads well" and others don't if that matters any?

I think you are confusing carbonation with heading. The "Psshhh" when you open them says you have carbonation. That's the sound of pressure being released. Lack of heading when you have carbonation is from a different problem and all the answers you got are not helping. When you lack heading on your beer is is from the cleaning you are doing. Somewhere between cleaning the boil pot and the glasses you are using to serve you have contamination from soap. The most likely source is your dishwasher and the nice anti-spotting agent that is often used but it could be inadequate rinsing of the boil pot or the bottles too.

Try putting a couple bottles in the refrigerator for 2 days. Before you pour the beer, wash the glasses by hand, making sure to scrub them and rinse them really well. Then give us a report on what you find.

So are you saying that when you crack one open, there is a rush of air but when you pour it, there is no carbonation in the liquid? Are you letting bottles chill for at least a day before you open one because the CO2 will dissolve better in cold liquid.

One suggestion might be to pitch a dry yeast packet in your priming bucket. That way you make sure you have viable yeast left over to carbonate. You shouldn't have to mess around with any heaters like you're doing. A reasonable ambient temperature should be fine to carbonate a beer in 3 weeks.

Back to temperature and time. How long was fermentation, temperature and time here also?

2 weeks in the Primary and 4 weeks in the secondary.

So the temp in the house was set for 70 degrees and the thermostat is upstairs, we keep the beer downstairs.

But we moved the beer upstairs in a closet with a heater running at 71F for the last two weeks now and it still turned out flat. We're going to keep it in there for another two weeks and see what happens.

So the beer was down stairs was down in the basement for 2 weeks, then moved up stairs for two weeks and still flat. NOW we have the heater in the closet with the beer at 71F and it will be two weeks in there next Saturday.

So are you saying that when you crack one open, there is a rush of air but when you pour it, there is no carbonation in the liquid? Are you letting bottles chill for at least a day before you open one because the CO2 will dissolve better in cold liquid.

One suggestion might be to pitch a dry yeast packet in your priming bucket. That way you make sure you have viable yeast left over to carbonate. You shouldn't have to mess around with any heaters like you're doing. A reasonable ambient temperature should be fine to carbonate a beer in 3 weeks.

Correct when I crack one open and makes a noise and air rushes out, but when I pour it out it taste as if there’s no carbonation. Yes I wait 24 hours after I put one in the fridge.

So your saying pitch the yeast in the beginning and at the end before I bottle?

That's what I figured but it's just flat and I have no idea why, especially when the first batch turned out so well. I thought maybe because we brewed it during early fall and these other batches have all been in the winter (Live in MN and it's like 25 degrees out now and has reached 0 degrees or lower this winter), that being said I thought the yeast wasn't doing its job because it was too cold in the basement. That was one of my ideas on why it was flat but I don’t know…

I wonder now is it a carbonation problem or lack of a head. If the latter it can be glassware with detergent residue still on them. It can also be from the recipe. If it is just lack of head. Clean your glassware as previously described. If that doesn't help and the beer tastes good, don't worry about it. If it is truly a carbonation issue, there is something simple that you are leaving out of your process. Nothing has come to light so far.

If you are using a kit and using all the ingredients, it is almost impossible not to get carbonated beer.

Have you answered the question about the bottles. Twist off bottles are a problem. If you don't use a bench capper you are unlikely to get a proper seal.

Take a bottle and try to twist the cap. If it moves you have a problem.

Cleaning equipment? I have read where like a rinse agent in dishwasher can effect head retention. This wouldn't be an issue would it?

Latest posts

Back