Flaked wheat vs flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwabizzle

Reaction score
Okay,so this is probably a dumb question that I could easily go to the googles with, but I like this community more. I am working on an IPA recipe, and wanted to add some flaked oats for head retention. I couldn't find the flaked oats at my LHBS, so I went with flaked wheat instead,only to find the oats as I was milling my grain. What effect do you think this will have on my overall recipe? My base is 9lbs of marris otter, 1lb Crystal 80, and 1/2 lb flaked wheat.

Okay,so this is probably a dumb question that I could easily go to the googles with, but I like this community more. I am working on an IPA recipe, and wanted to add some flaked oats for head retention. I couldn't find the flaked oats at my LHBS, so I went with flaked wheat instead,only to find the oats as I was milling my grain. What effect do you think this will have on my overall recipe? My base is 9lbs of marris otter, 1lb Crystal 80, and 1/2 lb flaked wheat.

In my experience, flaked oats provides a "creaminess" to the beer, but not really that much in the way of head retention. Wheat malt and flaked wheat and flaked barley have always given me great head retention.

I my understanding Flaked oats are basically rolled oats which of course you can buy at any grocery store

I my understanding Flaked oats are basically rolled oats which of course you can buy at any grocery store

I use flaked barley for nice fluffy white head but it does add haze to your beer. I found out after three or four weeks in a lighter colored beer the haze will start to drop out.

I actually add a pound of each to my NEIPAs (flaked wheat and flaked oats). I haven't tried to isolate what each brings to the table, but the combination gives me everything I'm looking for (plus my other ingredients).

I once thought the same thing, that flaked oats would help with head retention. But, the community here pretty unanimously told me otherwise. Oats have a decent amount of oils which will hurt head rather than help it. Every IPA I have done over the past 2 months (about 8) have been with an addition of 1lb of wheat and the head has been perfect!

I just buy quick (ROLLED) oats from the grocery store. Steel cut will not work.

I actually add a pound of each to my NEIPAs (flaked wheat and flaked oats). I haven't tried to isolate what each brings to the table, but the combination gives me everything I'm looking for (plus my other ingredients).

Seems like you are giving up a lot of malt flavor using 2 lbs of adjuncts that add very little to flavor. I've not tried it, so I guess I shouldn't knock it - if it works!

I just buy quick (ROLLED) oats from the grocery store. Steel cut will not work.

Seems like you are giving up a lot of malt flavor using 2 lbs of adjuncts that add very little to flavor. I've not tried it, so I guess I shouldn't knock it - if it works!
Meh. 5.5% of each, so 11% of the grist isn't going to hurt the maltiness of a high-gravity NEIPA, especially given that I add 15% Vienna in my NEIPA grist to up the maltiness quotient.
And I'm confused by your opposition to adjuncts in this beer (which pretty much everybody uses), especially considering you said you use rolled oats.

Back