flaked wheat substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Makin a saison- it calls for a 6% addition of flaked wheat which I dont have on hand.

I DO have- flaked barley
flaked corn
flaked oats
AND torrified white wheat.

Can I substitute any of these in my Saison recipe?

Torrified wheat is a good sub - it's also unmalted wheat just not in flaked form, and also contributes to head retention.

Any of those would be fine for a saison. Flaked corn wont get you the same effect but still is great to help dry out saisons. Ive found any adjunct is perfectly at home in saisons. The only thing you'd probably really need flaked wheat in and couldnt sub is like a traditional belgian wit. Ive got one saison going right now with like 12% flaked oats, another one with 20% flaked rye, and one on tap with 12% flaked wheat 12% flaked rye and 6% flaked corn. Its all good. Just throw in whatever youve got or feel like using, thats kinda the whole spirit of the style

If you have torrified wheat I would use that. It is unmalted just like flaked wheat, and it is also pre-gelatinized. Just mill it with the rest of your grains and mash as normal.

I was told sometime ago that any difference between flaked and Torrified grains (wheat specifically) are minimal.

Substitute away!

IMO if a Saison recipe calls for wheat, you need wheat. It's simply a very common ingredient in a Saison. What you use for wheat is what you have, although I've read that a few different types can taste different from each other.

In the heydays of Saison the farms making them would use whatever they had, and ferment them at room temperature. There isn't really any hard and fast rule on what they taste like, but some commonality would occur.

I have avoided torrified or flaked wheat and always use unmalted wheat bought in bulk for around 40c/ pound. Based upon this chart, the starches gelatinize at mash temps and you save a significant amount buying plain bulk wheat berries. Ive never had any efficiency issues.

iqvjO.jpg

Back