flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
I'm doing a wake n bake stout clone and i am going to use flaked oats and flaked barley as well as chocolate malt,black patent malt and black barley. I heard that with flaked oats and flaked barley that you have to mash them with other malts. I'm goin to combine all the above Malts in a sac bag and steep them in 2 gallons of water at 152 for 40 min and was wondering if that would be fine. Also I am going to use light d.m.e since the base for all grain is 2 row pale but I'm doing a extract brew and was wondering if the dark malts above would be enough to give it a deep dark color. I'm using 10.3oz chocolate, 8.6oz black patent, and 8.6oz black barley 10.3oz of flaked oat and 10.3oz flaked barley and 6lb 9oz light d.m.e so will this grain bill provide a dark enough stout. Sorry so long.
Cheers!

10.3oz chocolate
8.6oz black patent
8.6oz black barley
10.3oz of flaked oat
10.3oz flaked barley
6lb 9oz light d.m.e

Some strange quantities.

I don't think patent or B-barley have enough diastastactic power to convert themselves let alone other starches. Yes you can steep both of these, but there is more sugars to be gained from mashing them. The above will not get anything from the oats or the barley.

Add 2 to 3 lbs of 2-row and proceed as you suggested and you will convert everything.

Calder said:
Some strange quantities.

I don't think patent or B-barley have enough diastastactic power to convert themselves let alone other starches. Yes you can steep both of these, but there is more sugars to be gained from mashing them. The above will not get anything from the oats or the barley.

Add 2 to 3 lbs of 2-row and proceed as you suggested and you will convert everything.

Like he said use some 2 row yo provide the enzymes. It will also allow you to use less dme and save money. I've been doing really large BIAB mini mashes using only 1-2 lbs of dme and had great results

Can't find black barley so should I just add mote chocolate malt? Any idea on a substitute grain. Also I want a deep dark stout will this grain bill and light d.m.e give me that or should I use dark d.m.e. I have used dark in my other stouts so I'm just wondering

solo103 said:
Can't find black barley so should I just add mote chocolate malt? Any idea on a substitute grain. Also I want a deep dark stout will this grain bill and light d.m.e give me that or should I use dark d.m.e. I have used dark in my other stouts so I'm just wondering

I don't know about a sub for black barley but all I use is light dme and I acquire all of my color from grains. I see dme as a fermentable only

Cool. My local brew store just got some in so I'm good there. Yeah I was wondering about the d.m.e because I did a red recipe twice one with light and one with amber same grain bill except I used 2 oz more roasted barley in the amber batch and it came out a nice red amber and the first came out really light so I was just thinking " did 2oz roasted barley really make that much of a difference or did the amber malt contribute as well".

Back